Typhoon not running good

boostjunkie

NEED MORE BOOST
Guys any input on this will help . have a Typhoon that is running real rough put the scanner on and i am getting a code 43 ESC falure, 31 wastegate overboost ,33 Map sensor high, 53 high voltage, also the knock sensor is reading 4 deg of knock. it runs just like a GN with a bad ECM or chip . the cap rotor plugs and wires were replaced less than a year ago also replaced all broken or bad vac lines not to long ago. just hate to buy parts i do not need . thanks shawn

Originally posted by boostjunkie
Guys any input on this will help . have a Typhoon that is running real rough put the scanner on and i am getting a code 43 ESC falure, 31 wastegate overboost ,33 Map sensor high, 53 high voltage, also the knock sensor is reading 4 deg of knock. it runs just like a GN with a bad ECM or chip . the cap rotor plugs and wires were replaced less than a year ago also replaced all broken or bad vac lines not to long ago. just hate to buy parts i do not need . thanks shawn

WOW!!! Lots of codes...

Do you know how much boost it is hitting? Stock gauges on these trucks are not reliable.

Are all these codes showing up at once? If it gets into overboost it is gonna shut down the fuel pump which makes the truck fall on its face but also can make knock.

If it is running more then 10 psi then it is a good indication that your plugs, wires, cap and rotor are good. If it is hanging at 10psi or levels out at 10psi then those are what need to be checked.

What plugs are in it?

If you are making more then 15psi and on the stock chip then that is what is causing the majority of those codes. The wastegate rod needs to be adjusted or wastegate solenoid is not doing its job.

How long has it been running this way and was anything done to it around the same time as problems starting?

Take Care,
Big Dave
Idaho Sy/Ty

The truck is all stock with Autolight #24 plugs@.032 i also run that plug in my GN and it works wery well with a turbo car .the boost is 15 PSI sounds like the truck is running in limp mode when it runs the tac goes all over .i think i have a bad ECM i have seen the same thing happen on a GN with the scanner pulling a ton of codes and running real bad. Shawn

first things first, remove the plugs that you have in there and replce with ac delco cr42 ts
the plugs may work in your national but they are not for the sy/tys,
tack flutter means on thing in a sy/ty ignition problems
replace plugs wires,cap, rotor, and fuel filter
plugs acdelco cr42ts
cap conrad dr2012g
wires the best you can afford taylor,atr black beauties

and read here http://syty.net/faq.php

Ken syclone 2916,typhoon on its way home.

This sounds to me like the eprom is not seated properly. I had this happen to me last week. Set a ton of codes and ran like crap.
Might be worth a look.

Nolan

Going to look at the ECM and prom first the truck ran to good with the FORD plugs:eek: also the fuel filter was changed last week . i will keep you all posted and thanks very much . shawn

All are good suggestions but I would agree that tach flutter is a sure sign of ignition problems.

I changed my cap-rotor-plug-&wires TWICE last summer, being a newbie I thought I could use what I thought would work. I was wrong. Although it seems stupid go with what works.

Remember the heat under the hood is crazy.........wires don't live long in that enviroment.

All those codes indicates more than a simple tune-up is on order, but do that first to rule it out.

Good luck (I hope it's as simple as the seating issue.)

just got time to look over the Typhoon pulled the ECM down and removed the prom blew it out and installed it BAM! it now runs but still has a small miss also now the scanner only shows a 31 over boost 33 high map sensor and now a 13 bad 02 sensor going to going to change the O2 and look at all the vac lines . thanks for all your help . shawn

Autolite Plugs work fine, you have other issue(s). Might not hurt to take a look at the wires, it won't solve the codes, but might fix the tack flutter.

just got time to look over the Typhoon pulled the ECM down and removed the prom blew it out and installed it BAM! it now runs but still has a small miss also now the scanner only shows a 31 over boost 33 high map sensor and now a 13 bad 02 sensor going to going to change the O2 and look at all the vac lines . thanks for all your help . shawn

have you ever checked your timing? TDC on #1 cyl with tan wire unplugged?

might be worth it to check..

I had retarded the timing on mine and I think thats what is causing an idle miss. When I put my hand over the tail pipe and feel the air coming out, its not smooth.....it comes out inconsistantly.

-or-

try out some injector cleaner, might have a sticky injector in there as well. I use the stuff directly into the fuel rail.

another good thing is GM TEC, gets all the carbon buildup out.

good luck.

later,
Scott

If it's just a slight miss, then, believe it or not, that is pretty much accepted as normal for a SY/TY. Mine had it even when running at its best.

i did end up replacing the ECM and it runs killer now ! now its time to turn the boost up and get to the track ! thanks for all your help . shawn