Two Problems

andycrips

Alright sooo I've been having a ton of fun with my '86 GN since buying but I am plagued with two small problems. The first is I have been fighting with exhaust leaks since purchasing it, I have narrowed it down to the crossover pipe and I was wondering if anybody had any good ways of sealing these up? The next thing is the steering, the wheel seems very sloppy, is there any way of tightening it up? Thanks everyone for your time.
-Andy :biggrin:

I'd check for a crack in the driver side exhaust header which is a common problem. I had to weld mine to fix the crack. Also, I changed out my steering shaft for one from a '93-'94 Jeep Grand Cherokee. That should tighten up your loose steering.

Alright sooo I've been having a ton of fun with my '86 GN since buying but I am plagued with two small problems. The first is I have been fighting with exhaust leaks since purchasing it, I have narrowed it down to the crossover pipe and I was wondering if anybody had any good ways of sealing these up? The next thing is the steering, the wheel seems very sloppy, is there any way of tightening it up? Thanks everyone for your time.
-Andy :biggrin:

I used some copper RTV and tried to make a ring or doughnut bead all the way around on the crossover pipe. I let it dry a couple of days then bolted it up.

Make sure you inspect all the front suspension parts for wear. Ball joints, wheel bearings, tie-rods, and center link also.

Put your location in your signature. Maybe somebody lives by you that can take a look.

HTH

Sloppy steering

You can adjust the steering box nut to tighten up the steering. Jack the car off the ground and have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth to see where the slop is coming from.