Two problems for the price of one?

rod2239

Ok, here is a good one. My new Zimmerman engine has been running top notch. I went to crank it up tonight to do some adjustments and I noticed the idle was off a bit and it almost sounded like it was missing. I then noticed it was smoking a bit. I drove it around the neighbor hood and noticed she was a little slugish. At the time, I noticed my BL was around 138 but didn't check any other readings. I pulled it back into the garage and noticed I had a puddle of oil under the cross over. I had this before but it was an oil pan problem but now it could be a rear main seal. After I kicked the dog and went back inside to eat some chow, I came back out and cranked her up again. The car now seemed to idle perfect and no smoke. The car was still warm from the previous start up but I let her idle for about 5 minutes. I took the car for a ride and when I got about 1/2 mile down the road she started to smoke again. Ticked off once more time I turned her around and brought the car home. Once I pulled it into the garage she resumed back to normal behavior (what the heck). Here are my last Scanmaster readings

02 638/750
AF 04
L8 31
INT 128
BL 134
CLE 159
AT 97
TPS .46
IAC 12
CC 227

About a year ago I had a bad MAF that caused it to smoke like this.

Any ideas??

And let me mention the smoke was billowing out of the tailpipe, not from under the car.

rod, i can't tell from your pictures but it looks like you are running only one valve cover breather. I know 100% without a doubt its not motor related as far as the build. I think either one your turbo is blowing oil, pull the intercooler pipes and look for traces of oil, or 2 your getting pressure build up in the motor.

Are you running more then one Valve cover breather?
Are you running a PCV?
How old is the turbo?
Is it blowing oil?
Is there oil in the intercooler piping?

thats what i would check first, i think you might not be letting the motor breath enough thus causing crankcase pressure to build which might also be causing your oil leak. Enigne is trying to breath and its pushing oil past the pan gasket. And i will almost say without a doubt since i know where you got that motor its not a rear main. its going to be the oil pan.

Brent,

I have to rig up another breather on the passenger side valve cover. It has a hole on the front of the cover but I only have a rubber tube there now as the alternator bracket doesn't allow clearance for it. I need a longer one so I can insert a breather. I'm not sure that is the issue as it's just now becoming a problem. Furthermore, it did it intermittently. I do have a PCV valve and the Turbo is fairly new. Tomorrow I will pull off the intercooler hose to see if the Turbo is blowing oil. I've probably put 100 miles on the engine, wouldn't crank case pressure have already shown up by now?

Ok, while everyone is bitching about the definition of a hotair car, I'm going through a bunch of checks to figure out my &*(^&^()* problem. So all you experts out there, how about helping a brother out. don't worry that I decided to clock my turbo forward, add a little front mount cooler, and repositioned the throttle body. I'm loyal and dedicated to the HA turbo set up. Anyhow, I finally had a chance to jack the car up and see what the hell is going on. I cranked her up and much to my surprise, I saw something spewing out from my band clamp in my crossover. After soaking some up, I noticed it was gas. Holly crap!!! I then removed all the plugs, knowing I was going to have a surprise in one cylinder. Sure enough, presto, Cylinder number 3 was loading up.. Why?? help?? is an injector stuck open? Brent, are you out there or are you fighting with all other HA, converts, etc etc..

Now as for my position on the post, having owned true hot air cars, ic cars, and converted cars. I say who gives a crap. You're a turbo buick fan regardless, and that's all that matters. I have no problem with anyone becoming fancy with their cars, that's what's great about it. However, you must stay true to the V6 turbo - no exceptions!!
Again, this is my opinion, and I appreciate Jerryl's position. He's obviously passion about it.

I noticed it was gas. Holly crap!!! I then removed all the plugs, knowing I was going to have a surprise in one cylinder. Sure enough, presto, Cylinder number 3 was loading up.. Why?? help?? is an injector stuck open? Brent, are you out there or are you fighting with all other HA, converts, etc etc...

Ok, well that would be the cause of your smoke out the exhaust. i have had this problem once myself, long story short glad noone was smoking in the garage. anyways this sounds like a problem that has just started and the car was running fine prior. this is what i would do, check all the connectors at the ecm to make sure they are clean (this was my problem, injector wire was grounding out keeping the injector wide open). Next check the Injector harness. depending how you have it routed it could be shorting out somewhere on the intake or fuel rail area. Next if you still havent found the problem, get a noid light and it should tell you if the injectors are pulsing or if one is always on. last but not least, how old are the injectors? got any dirt in there maybe getting the injector hung open?

Also since you had that much fuel being dumped in. Change the OIL ASAP, when mine did this, i drained the oil and it was super thin and stunk like fuel really bad :eek:

Brent,

Thanks for the sound advice, I will go through the check list once I return from my south Carolina business trip. A couple of other thoughts I had. I should've checked the dip stick to confirm if gas got in the oil. The first thing I will do is change the oil. I was also thinking of grounding the number 3 plug and to see if there is spark. Could the terminal on the coil pack be bad ?? I would think if I didn't see any spark then that would be my problem. Also, come to think of it, the last time I was out I did feel a miss at higher rpms. could that of caused something?? it was short lived and didn't appear to effect anything at the time.

doesn't hurt to check for spark as well, i'm thinking you have spark since this problem isnt going on all the time. check the listed and check for spark as well.

Brent, Finally had time to take the noid light to the injectors. Surprisingly enough all were pulsating. So, having checked spark and pulsation, it only leaves one thing, a bad injector?? No.. what else could it be?

i would say you might have a stuck injector. see if you can get a set of mechanics ears and see if you can here each injector clicking. we know its fuel related so the question is, is one of the injectors hung open.

i would contact chuck leeper hes on the board and also at CODYMOTORSPORTS he is the one that i send my injectors to. i would see what he says as far as the chances of a injector getting hung open. if all else fails just to be on the safe side pull them and have him clean them