Twilight Sentinel

GNBeswick

It's just a V6 Regal....
So it's been a couple years now that my Twilight Sentinel hasnt worked....never got around to trying to figure out what was wrong, always occupied with the engine. It used to work perfect, and one day it just stopped. Now the strange things is, when the battery is really low the lights will come on if its dark enough for about 10 seconds and shut off. Its done this a few times over the years, but it doesnt do any more than that.
Im not sure if anyone else has had the same problem or if anyone has any ideas whats wrong?

Try this test, fully charged battery, IGN switch to RUN, Twilight Control Switch to ON, Light Switch OFF.

Separate the photocell connector located behind the radio area under the photocell itself.

Open the 2 wire connector so the photocell is disconnected.

If they go on within 60 seconds and didn't go on when the photocell was connected and in darkness then the photocell is bad.

That's the first test.

So I took the AC control panel out and looked for a 2 prong connector. This is the only one I cold find:
wire3.jpg

wire4.jpg

I followed your instructions and unplugged it and the lights did not turn on.

The connector is attached to the wires from the photocell which is mounted in the top center of the dash top panel.

Follow the wires from the photocell to the connector and detach it.

It should be easy. I think the wires are black and white and go right up to the photocell.

If you attempt to take the photocell out of the dash top panel don't break the plastic round holder.

The one pictured is the wrong connector I believe.

It is a black and white wire into the connector, and it's located on the left hand side of the A/C control head as you face it.

Hmm.....I spent a good 15 minutes looking and feeling around for a 2 prong wire to the left of the AC unit. I know where the photocell is, but cant find any wires that seem to run up to it. I may have to pull the top dash panel to see anything.

Found it once I took the dash cover off.......getting the thing unplugged was a major PITA. It's in there real tight.
Once I unplugged it, the lights came on. Looks like the photocell is bad......now to find a new one....

Your best bet would be to check it out of the circuit accross the two wire leads with an OHM METER.

Check the readings in OHMS in both light and fully dark conditions (black tape over the top of it securely) and report back.

Sometimes the photocell gets oriented improperly and won't activate normally, but that's a long shot, resistance readings under light and dark condtitions should confirm a bad cell.

Plug it back in with the tape over it (cover the photocell) and see if they turn on normally within 60 seconds.

The book doesn't give the resistance measurement, but those numbers don't appear to be too bad for a typical photocell.

Plugged it in covered and nothing happened. When I unplug it though and turn twilight sentinel on, the lights come on and than shut off after about 60 seconds or so.

Does anyone have a pic of where and how this is mounted on the upper dash, from the factory? I want to duplicate it as best as possible. Thanks