Turn Signal Trouble

v6turbojunkie

My GN is giving me fits.

The left turn lights are blinking normally (maybe a little fast) but the right side is blinking very slowly and the right side completely quits blinking when you turn on the headlights. I'm not blowing bulbs or anything. The signal switch under the steering wheel is new, what next?

if all your bulbs are inplace and working sounds like youve got a problem in your right side lamps

odds are the front right lamp socket in the bumper is deteriorated and just needs to be replaced with a new one that should be easy to get at the local parts store HELP rack .

The bulbs are new.

If I wiggle the 1157 bulb in the bumper socket it gets dimmer and then bright again but never goes out completely or speeds up the blinking.

the sockets in the bumper lamps are prone to corrosion due to their location ,its in the perfect place for tire splash .

had that problem with my car when i bought it

the contacts looked okay from the bulb side ,after replacing the socket i took the old apart and it was a rust pile inside ,dont know how it didnt short out.

Sounds like something isn't getting a good enough ground to me. Therefore, like others said check your sockets for corrosion and/or check your flasher control for a good connection. If both sides were slow, I'd want to konw what voltage you were reading at your battery with the car running, but it doesn't sound like that's your problem.

James

Originally posted by pacecarta
the sockets in the bumper lamps are prone to corrosion due to their location ,its in the perfect place for tire splash .

had that problem with my car when i bought it

the contacts looked okay from the bulb side ,after replacing the socket i took the old apart and it was a rust pile inside ,dont know how it didnt short out.

YOU DA MAN!!!!!! New socket fixed the problem. I would never have thought the socket was bad from appearances.
New question, are the two lamps on the front supposed to be alternating or flashing in sequence? I never paid attention before. When I was trying to figure this all out they were trying to flash at the same time(sequence).

Originally posted by bishir
Sounds like something isn't getting a good enough ground to me. Therefore, like others said check your sockets for corrosion and/or check your flasher control for a good connection. If both sides were slow, I'd want to konw what voltage you were reading at your battery with the car running, but it doesn't sound like that's your problem.

James

After disassembling the old socket, the ground appears to have been the problem I think. It was all nast and burnt appearing like it had shorted out.

BTW, I like the avatar. That's one of my favorite Seinfeld episodes!! I also like "HHHHHEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOO" and "Manhands".:D

Sounds like the problem I'm having. Right turn blinks fine, left turn just stays on w/o blinking. Think I found the culprit though....time for a new left rear t/s socket because one of them looks a little crispy...lol.

parts?

i too am having that same exact problem...

i belioeve it is my socket as well./...

where would i buy that and how hard is it to install? just cut the old one off and solder on the new wires or what?

also would you happen to have the proper part number for this?

thank you and glad to see that yours is working well now with a quick fix!

most auto parts stores carry tham on the shelves in the aisles

many ways to splice a wire and make it sound and waterproof

for firsttimers there are solderless weathertight connectors (twist apart connectors) llittle costly but for three wires no biggie and they work great

or crimp ,or crimp and solder, or twist and solder ,and then grease up and shrink tube or tape up , too many ways to just say do it this way. but try to meake it weatherproof and sound

its sometimes possible for elements on dual element bulbs to make contact and cause same results , make sure bullbs are good and correct for where they are and flasher relay is working and good (cheap enough to replace) . if problem is still there start checking wiring and sockets

alright thanks for the help!

what is the proper name for the part then?
turn lamp socket??

everytime i go to the auto parts stores i never know the names of items and look like an idiot!

thanks again and possibly a part number would be great!

dont worry about looking dumb.
most of the guys i run across behind some of those counters are clueless and i beleive they rode the little bus their whole life.
no pride in thier jobs and sadly its not limited to autoparts stores

The new socket's wires might/probably not the same color of the wires on the original socket. Ex- original is black, brown, and blue. New one might be black, brown, and yellow. The yellow would then be spliced to the blue and other would stay the same.

pacecarta is right, these guys behind the counter are not so great these days. If it can't be found in their parts books and associated with a number, they just get lost.

went to advance auto and part was right out on the shelves with a bunch of other wiring repair sockets wasnt help brand , part # 85830 (i think thats right ?)

its a signal lamp socket
like said above the wires are different collor , there is a yellow lead

from autozone site

BULB - EXTERIOR SOCKET for a
1987 BUICK REGAL
TURN SIGNAL
FRONT
Normal Stock

Item Part
No. MOTORMITE 85830
Availability
Store Web