turn signal problem

1987ttype

I havent driven my car for about 6 weeks. now the right turn signal will not always blink like it is supose to. when i go to turn on the turn signal, the dash indicator as well as the turn signals will just light but not blink. also when my headlights are on, the right turn indicator on dash is always dimly lit, and again the indicator and turn signals will only brighten but not blink when i try to turn on the right turn signal. where is the thingy that makes the turnsignals blink, is it all in that switch (the cruise control lever that turns on the blinkers, wipers...)? also how hard is it to replace that lever if that is what i need to do. Please help! thanks in advance.

Most likely the wrong or improper bulbs in the car.

Check the back bulbs out first.

Could be shorted across two elements on the dual ones too.

Easy to check them first.

usually when you start having problems with bulbs dimly glowing you are running into a couple of issues. Burned out bulbs, bad sockets or bad grounds. You will need to go over all of these very carefully. Any corrosion can cause this.

The signals arn't dim, they just won't blink. they will light up completely to full brightness. Will a bulb affect this? i know the front turn signal bulb was replaced, i checked it yesterday but i couldn't tell any difference (markings or otherwise) between the right front (the one that doesn't blink) and the left front (the one that does blink). I will go to the auto parts store and replace the right turn signal bulb today with a bulb i know will be to spec. any other suggestions? thanks.

replace the flasher relay, if I remember correctly it is right by the fuse box and only cost $4 or so. my car did the same thing, dicked around with bulbs for about an hour and it was the stupid relay the whole time. :mad: