Turn Signal Issue

For future searchers, heres how to test...simply.
1) turn on headlights
2) turn on hazards
3) replace bulbs not working

Whola...simple.
Lol!!!

Unless you want to be like me and want to learn on how the lights are wired unnecessarily.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

But this test first , woud'lve took you to the problem area sooner??

Sory after I reread my first post,i came off as arrogant...

But this test first , woud'lve took you to the problem area sooner??

Sory after I reread my first post,i came off as arrogant...

Short answer yes, it would of solved it sooner. But in any learning situation, I learned a bit more about the car.

No you weren't arrogant, but to the point. Don't worry I have thick skin.

Nice find horndog. I would not have thought that a burned out side marker light would have caused that feedback flakiness. Always nice to learn something new, thanks for letting us know the solution.

Nice find horndog. I would not have thought that a burned out side marker light would have caused that feedback flakiness. Always nice to learn something new, thanks for letting us know the solution.

Well the problem thought to be resolved but it resurfaced as that light blew again. So at least the issue is isolated to the side marker.

Black this soon would be overvoltage, white cloudy will be water intrusion.

Interesting... Thanks for ths tidbit.

I am betting on that there is an improper ground somewhere.

Interesting... Thanks for ths tidbit.

I am betting on that there is an improper ground somewhere.

Yes...with no power on, ohm out from the light bulb socket to ground or the neg. Battery post. There should be no resostance. My ground was bad right at the socket

a loose wire wont blow a lamp....low voltage will not blow a lamp.....now is it blown for sure? have you tried to light up bulb with a 9 volt battery? is it cloudy ??

First we need to make sure there is a good circuit on both sides of the socket. It would seem that you have 12v at the bulb but as stated earlier in this post it sounds like a bad ground. Mine did the exact same thing you described in your first post, the reason that it is a little dim when it flashes is the ground is quite possibly open, so it is using another path to ground, like through another bulb, will also put two elements in series which will cause it to be dim, also to flash quickly. Check the continuity to ground first 'dog....stick with me, been there done that.

The side marker indeed grounds through the turn signal........thats how it alternates with the turn signal when park on....

keep it coming! I honestly have not had a chance to trace everything back. I do intend to spend some time on it this weekend.
Plus, I got new Bilstein shocks that I need to install or have someone install :D

I also I did notice that there is two lights on the front turn signals, and one of them is burned out or not lit. I would guess these are all wired together and any break in the ground will cause wide-spread havoc.
There is also a break somewhere with the headlights as now the driver side head lights are dim and definately almost blink when driving the car. So there is definately some loose wiring.

What does help is to think this is a 1987 GM vehicle and they took a LOT of short cuts wiring included

Ok, I finally had a few minutes to do some more testing and I found the following:

The marker light lights dimly without the right-front turn signal bulb in
The side marker AND turn signal bulb do NOT turn on with the turn signal bulb in

Without the turn signal bulb in, the side marker light is dim
So when I put the turn signal bulb in, the side marker light goes out.

Turn signal bulb was tested in the left side

I am not sure if the socket is bad at this point.
Would it be a valid test if I just ran the ground to the ground of the battery?
It seems my mult-imeter is for 120v? I need to figure to adjust it for 12v

I fixed the headlight issue, it was a loose ground on the inner fender... go figure.

The side marker ground was bad and the turn signal seems to be bad and will see if I can locate a replacement. I think the auto part store carries these.

The turn signal socket was bad. Replaced the socket and now works great!

That's exactly where my problem was...glad to hear you got it repaired