Turbo upgrade Q's

Joe Kelsch

Eat Mo' Rats
A little history of the car that I bought in Oct. Its an 86 T-type and it's my first Turbo car and I am basically clueless. The motor's been rebuilt. It's .020over with a **** 206/206 cam. Turbo is a rebuilt stock one and the injectors are as well. The intercooler is stock. It also has a scanmaster. It has the big walpro fuel pump with a hotwire. I'll probably add a voltbooster this spring. It seems that the guy before the guy I bought this from had a bunch of go-fast goodies on there and took them off before he sold it to the guy I bought it off of. I say this because he added Moroso front springs and a Detroit Locker with the long studs (which are only 7/16). Seems like it was going to be a future race car.

I want to upgrade the Turbo. My brother thinks I should just get a TA-60 with some big injectors (thinking of 60lbs so I only have to buy one set) and work from there. I was thinking the TA-49 would be a good start. I recently bought a 3" downpipe from Gbodyparts.com. Any opinions would be appreciated.

First.... what are your goals?

Next... what is your budget?

If you have done the basic stuff that is in the "spring cleaning" over at gnttype....

IMHO this is a good starting point:
Scantool
Razor's alky kit
60# injectors + turbotweak chip

At this point you should be mid 12's with traction.

Downpipe since you already have it
Hooker 2-1/2" cat back from Summit or Jegs
dutt necked intercooler
TE44 turbo with RJC boost controller

At this point... you would have potential for mid 11's with traction... still on pump gas.

What kind of Scan tool do you suggest?? I already have a Scanmaster, but it seems to only do the basics. I don't have a manual on it, so I'm not sure how to look for any stored data.

Here ya go.

Scanmaster II
Tech Tips and Info

These are from Mr. URL, Chad Schwartz's website.
Ya out there Chad???

Scanmaster is the best scan tool to learn how to use on the fly. It doesn't really store alot of data but is more useful to help you keep from blowing up the car due to detonation. Once you've mastered it, I recommend either a Direct Scan or Full Throttles new Powerlogger. Either of these two are lap top based scan tools, which have full recording datalogging capability for more in depth tuning.
HTH

Patrick

When the weather breaks I'll be playing around with the scanner. The car has some sort of hesitation just off idle. And after a full throttle blast it will do its hesitation thing again (I'm thinking the TPS). I really want to find out what's going on. The guy before me replaced a bunch of parts trying to narrow it down. Some of the parts include: the ECM, Ingnition coil pack and the cam sensor. There were some other parts, but I can't think of them now. The lockup solinoid was going bad as well. My brother unplugged it and all's well there (till the tranny pops). He seems to think that the solinoid is the warning mechanism for the entire tranny. I don't really feel like driving up to Akron to drop it off at Janis.

This car sure isn't like my old Skylark. With it you can fix most of the problems with a piece of wire, a roll of duct tape and a handfull of zip ties.

It could just be in the chip itself.... You might go ahead and get you a pump gas turbotweak chip until you can get the alky and injectors (assuming you are going in that direction). Eric can fix you up with a chip that will make your car run like you never thought it could.