Turbo T or T-Type??

Let's say you bought a Regal in 1987.

It has the T package. :)

It has the Turbo package. :)

Does that make it a Turbo T? ;)

With or without the exterior sport package. :cool:

Just wonderin'.

Theres a guy in my area w/ a basic Regal that the LC2. I thought it was a Limited when I saw it, but he said it was a normal Regal...he bought it from the original owner so he's probably right. I guess some plain old Regals could come turbo'd.

Just got this email in from my customer!

By the way, I think you are right about the turbo T, my emblems
are just T's, and the hood ornament says 3.8 turbo T, and the trunk emblem
says 3.8 sfiturbo .......now I've owned the damn thing since 87 and never
knew that.

Originally posted by ACME RACING
Just call it a Turbo T-Type ;)

Clay , you going to Mike's wedding Saturday???? I haven't heard from him since last week.......

:) Alan

I've always called my 87 a Turbo T. Been part of the thinking that 86= T-Type, 87= Turbo T.

BTW, I'll be at the wedding. Dropped by Mike's house yesterday to harass him a bit.

Originally posted by d0n_3d
you could also order just a plain jain Regal with the LC2 motor which was called the Regal Limited...it looked just like a regular regal but with the turbo hood and LC2 motor...you could also order those in any color i believe...

Wrong, the limited was a seperate package that you could order on the Regal, turbo or not. It's the "plush" model that had the available "pillow" style seating, half consoles, and even the leather option. Not sure if you could get a floor shift or not but I think so. Chrome models (no WO2 blackout) got a big stainless trim on the lower portion of the car. The passenger dash plate was illuminated, had the "coffin style" door pull bars instead of the straps, and some other nifty features that you can read about elsewhere (do a search)

The "T" package was not the same as the turbo option but you had to get it if you wanted the turbo. So you could have a T that wasn't a turbo but you couldn't have a turbo that wasn't a T. Get it? ;) This led to the Turbo-T as the cars we fancy are Regals with the T package and the turbo motor, not just the T. T-Types (were 86' and before). Hope this helps, and someone correct me if some of this is accurate. I realize there are lots of little details I left out, but I'm at work and need to pretend to be slaving away.

-Jade

I have a beautiful low mile White 87 Turbo T with non blackout. It was switched to 86 T Type emblems before I bought it. I recently changed all emblems back to 87. It looked great to me with the 86 emblems, but it was not stock. It had always bothered me, and I got tired of explaining that it had been changed. Now it looks correct and I love it. By the way Mark, thanks for the new MAF pipe and Cold air kit. They work great and look awesome.

Originally posted by WLDWST
By the way Mark, thanks for the new MAF pipe and Cold air kit. They work great and look awesome.

Well now you should feel kind of silly,,,,Now its not stock anymore.:eek: :eek:

My car was stock for about 20 minutes after it was delivered. It looks stock on the outside except for Prostars. Engine compartment is a different story, and I like it that way. I have all the stock parts to go back, but I like to go fast. Stock is for collectors and car show freaks. None of which I am at the moment.

Non-turbo regals with the T package were made in 1987. I've heard that Buick used the "Oldsmobile" 307 cu. in. V8 motor in the Regal. Therefore, there were some T package 1987 Regals produced with this normally aspirated V8 motor. The three options that make an 87 equivalent to an 86 T-Type are the turbo motor (LC2), the T package (Y52), and the exterior sport package (W02). You had to get Y52 with LC2. The chrome 87 turbo charged regals are the ones that did not get the black out trim W02. What appears to some as a "regular regal" with a turbo motor may be these 87 models with Y52+LC2. A member in the Houston Buick club has a black 87 model with chrome bumpers and chrome trim. I think the 1,035 Limited models were the same way. You had to get the T package with the turbo motor. I also think all of these had chrome trim and you could not get W02 in a Limited.

When I purchased the WE4 there was a Buick bulletin in the glove box which described the WE4 as a "Turbo-T". I've heard WE4 owners claim that this car is the only true Turbo-T which I thought was kind of snotty.

T-type vs Turbo T

Whenever I explain this, I always liked to compare the Buick T-Types (also available on skyhawk, century & lesabre, btw) to the IROC-Z Camaro. Was it 1990/1991 that IROC switched from Camaro to Daytona? But you still could get a Camaro afterward with the TPI engine, etc, although you could no longer get an IROC-Z Camaro. This usually seems to work pretty well. Usually I can almost see the light bulb come on.:)

As far as what exactly is included when you say "Turbo T" I'm still waiting for more conclusive proof, but for now, I go with the WE4 only crowd based on the fact that all the literature I've seen for the WE4 will say "Turbo T" on it, while the remainder were "T package" turbo regals. Incidently, there were also "T package" regals that had the plain old n/a v6 in addition to the 307 olds.

Just to mess with the purists out there, should I swap my 86 grill (with that chrome edging) with the full black grill off my WE4?:D

-Greg

Originally posted by Fuzzy
I think the 1,035 Limited models were the same way. You had to get the T package with the turbo motor. I also think all of these had chrome trim and you could not get W02 in a Limited.

You could get a limited with the blackout package. It was actually much cheaper to get the WO2 on the limited than any other model since it saved buick the expense of putting that big stainless trim strip (which I mentioned earlier) on the car. It was only $30 to get it on a limited and much more on the other models.

You guys should pick up Kirban's book, lots of information about all this kind of stuff.

-Jade

Jade/Dusty

Do you believe everything that you read?:D

In 1987 there were so many different combinations and colors available, it's probably safe to say that no 2 T-R's are alike.

That's what makes our cars so unique.:cool: