Turbo Smoke

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
Now that my engine has started to act haha funny.... its time to scrap my senior project and do something easy and sissy:mad:. My friend and I looked real hard at the car and drove it hard enough to get the turbo to work. We still noticed a cloud of smoke entering the engine compartment somehow. I opened the hood and pulled the choke and noticed a steady spurt of black wierd smelling smoke coming out of the valve breather where you put in the engine oil and it smelled alot like the smoke coming into the car. Im not sure if I need to put on a breather or if I need to have the turbo checked to make sure it is functioning properly. It could be the compresser blades or the fact that the turbo isnt getting any oil. Is this a sign of the end......

rebuild $1800
Turbo $3700
etcetera $7000

$3700 for a turbo! Im getting a 83 turbo from AJ for $125.

How do you know it isnt getting oil? If you want to know pull of the down pipe and see if the exhaust turbine moves. If your car doesnt eat oil and the turbo is tight its fine.

Does your trans still slip like you said before?

I wouldnt give up really. Just get the thing running right. Its 80's GM, stuff stinks and leaks so it really isnt that huge of a deal to see smoke or smelly stuff.

Turbo $3700
if your willing to pay $3700 for a turbo i will sell you the one off my car. i dont know where you are getting that price.
3700 for a turbo! Im getting a 83 turbo from AJ for $125.
give a.j. an email he most likely has a extra he will sell you. he has some 301s done for like $300 or $400. im still waiting on him to swap me parts, but he is the man to talk to he has everything.

Blowby

U know what, my mom has an 85 mercury, and it doesnt even have as close to as many probelms as my car does. How do you fix blowby? The smoke is coming in through the floorvents into the cabin and it is chocking everyone in the car?

can someone help me before my car kills me......:smile: thank you

(ps what do I do if I get an aftermarket air filter, how do I fix it?)

Change your oil. Run 20w-50 then add a qt of lucas oil stabilizer. Then add what ever additives you want but make sure they don't dilute your oil. Hope and pray your carb is tuned up well to keep fuel out of the oil. The thinner and less viscous the motor oil you will get worse blowby on an old and even yet especially turbocharged engine (HEAT). fuel don't help out the oil any either. Ziptie 1 or 50 old socks on your breather. Start looking for a new block to rebuild so you can keep on driving the Regal.

i have a dumb question but could it be that his pcv is bad. dont kill me people i dont know but could it be that.

The fact that smoke is coming out of the breather is the clue. An easy way to check is to disconnect the waste gate so you don't have any boost then see if you have the same problem. If you don't then the engine needs a ring job at the very least.

most likely you need to pull the motor. its not hard to pull the motor as long as you have the stuff to do it. here is my motor when i was rebuilding it. YouTube - Movie.wmv
Start looking for a new block to rebuild so you can keep on driving the Regal.
Like adam said find another block. look at it this way now you can put in a bigger cam in, port the heads and get alot more power. buy the how to build buick peformance book by Jefferson Bryant it will help you out with upgrades.

One of these days someone's gonna take you up on that Jesse. The you get to visit the big D. LOL

If I worked some overtime for it I don't think it would be a problem getting another car under the condition that it runs and not embarrasing. Mostly not embarrasing:rolleyes:

Change your oil. Run 20w-50 then add a qt of lucas oil stabilizer. Then add what ever additives you want but make sure they don't dilute your oil. Hope and pray your carb is tuned up well to keep fuel out of the oil. The thinner and less viscous the motor oil you will get worse blowby on an old and even yet especially turbocharged engine (HEAT). fuel don't help out the oil any either. Ziptie 1 or 50 old socks on your breather. Start looking for a new block to rebuild so you can keep on driving the Regal.

Wont that blow the motor using heavier weight oil?

Acceleraton Effect

I found 20-50 oil at AZ but I got to thinking, adam made a good point is my carb tuned up right for this and I read another thread on here that stated that if you run thicker oil, your acceleration will suffer and my car is sluggish enough to a point where I can barely take it on the highway.:rolleyes:

Not unless you're running an extrememly thick oil. 20W50 is a standard and shouldn't give you an issue.