Turbo Seal

vacuum 6

I've had a turbo seal go on me before (oil in the MAF and up pipe). I think the turbo seal is going again but I got no oil in the MAF or up pipe. I do not have another turbo to switch out. How can I verify its the turbo? Leaking on the exhaust side?

I recently had the same issue.Car was smoking out of the exhaust but no oil in the intercooler or uppipe.I swapped the turbo from my other car and no more smoke.
Sorry I don't know any other way to diagnose the problem besides swapping turbos.It's a lot easier diagnosing leaky seals on the compressor side.My friend talked me into swapping turbos.I had trouble believing it could be the turbo causing the smoke,the dang turbo only had 4-5k miles and no unusual shaft play. :mad:

Give this a try.

Pull the elbow and look in the down pipe. The down pipe will most likely show signs of oil if the center section is leaking into the exhaust side.

When my turbo went out there was oil in the intercooler, MAF, up pipe, down pipe. it was nasty. lol

HTH, John

I ran the car with out the downpipe and it took 30 mins :eek: . After 30 mins and reving the motor oil started seeping out from the exhaust housing ID. Another problem solved. :smile:

I ran the car with out the downpipe and it took 30 mins :eek: . After 30 mins and reving the motor oil started seeping out from the exhaust housing ID. Another problem solved. :smile:

glad you found the problem. atleast yours is blowing out the exhaust side mine was blowing into the intake and let me tell you there was so much oil in the intake it wasnt funny.

glad you found the problem. atleast yours is blowing out the exhaust side mine was blowing into the intake and let me tell you there was so much oil in the intake it wasnt funny.

Yeah thanks me too.

I was also getting oil in the intake via the PVC. Enough where it was showing up on the dipstick :eek: