turbo re-installation help...

John84GN

Nice Monte...
I have the turbo off, b/c of an oil leak in the drain line from it...

The original hot-air oil return line is trashed, and I am trying to use the one from the intercooled cars...(yes, I cut the nut off)

Here's my situation...
I bought a new grommet from GM for the pipe to go into (the old one's ripped on the outer lip), and I am having the hardest time getting the pipe into the grommet...IT'S IMPOSSIBLE! I've tried it both way's...inserting the pipe into the grommet first and then trying the install the whole thing into the intake...and the reverse...installing the grommet into engine, and then trying to insert the pipe...

I've been working on this for over an hour...and it's driving me crazy! :mad: WHAT'S THE TRICK?!? Help!

Thanks

I really don't know the trick...All I do is put it on the turbo first and then install the turbo and try to get the oil tube into the hole. It takes me forever too...Yes, I get made fun of here cause I'm retarted. It seems some people have no problem whatsoever getting it in, and some do.

I usually put the grommit into the intake. Then, I take the 86/87 Drain tube and strech it out as fast as I can pull it.

After that, with the drain tube attached to the turbo put it into the grommit. (you might have to put a slight bend in it to compensate for the intake angle) Once you get it in there push down to seat it all the way.

Once it is seated line up the compressor side of the Turbo on the O-ring adapter, and give it a few taps with a rubber mallet. After that all the studs should line up, and all you have left to do is bolt up the exhaust.

It can be a little tricky, but don't get frustrated.....

The way Herb described is the way Ive always done it [with the 84/85 tube]. That grommet may be extra tough since its new. Maybe coating it with vaseline may help?

Herb, youve got a GNX now!:eek: Coooool :cool:

I am in agreement with Herb...Having three turbo's in and out of my car, I know exactly what he is saying, straighten, put the tube in first, then push everything else in place... As for that grommet, make sure the pipe fits in easily before putting the it on the motor...if it doesnt slide in easy, obviously it'll be harder when it is on the car. Vasoline is a good idea, or maybe a little sanding of the inside of the grommet to open it a tiny bit will help. As they get hotter, the swell, so that should not be a problem, but dont sand it wide open...that tube should not be able to just move all around in it...but it should not be a hassle just to slide over the tube. Good luck!

John

Actually found a new way to do it today :) I put on my 33 and stood on the sway bar...I can then bend foward and see it perfectly. I prebent the tube so it was close. Put it over the hole and pushed down the turbo...Then made sure it was definitly in the hole, I pushed the turbo all the way down :) Worked for me...I guess I have a new way of doing it!

Originally posted by blueta
Actually found a new way to do it today :) I put on my 33 and stood on the sway bar...I can then bend foward and see it perfectly. I prebent the tube so it was close. Put it over the hole and pushed down the turbo...Then made sure it was definitly in the hole, I pushed the turbo all the way down :) Worked for me...I guess I have a new way of doing it!
Didnt mention that. With no mechanical fan in the way I always stand in front of the engine [in the engine compartment] also when installing the turbo assembly. Makes it much easier to handle and see.

i had to rebuild my tranny and while it was out i could see and easly get to the oil return line from under the car. dont recomend that you pull your tranny to install the return line just a suggestion that if you do ever need pull your tranny and your turbo do it then. what took me hours playing with the return line was easy with the tranny out.

also like TurboRegal84 said strech it out as fast as I can pull it before you try to install the turbo assembly. it makes life a lot easier. hope that helps