turbo options

shine1stang

Ok guys, im turning to you for some advice. As you know there is no aftermarket world for the v6 mustang, esp turbos. So you guys with the v6 turbo experience might be able to help me out.
My set up is the following: 3.83 bore, stock crank, forged eagle rods, wiseco forged pistons 8.8:1 comp, ported stage 2+ heads, comp cams springs (918 gm springs), ss valves 1.86 Intake 1.50 exhaust, comp cam 218/224 .55 lift 112 lobe sep, ported lower, and a cut and weld upper intake. The upper is being swapped out for a sheet metal. The turbo kit has a precision pt61 w .81 exhaust housing, 3inch dp and single 3 inch maxflow muffler. Currently im running 20-21 psi of boost. Running it all thru a c4 and 8.8 rear w 355 gears.
Im looking at a precision 6776 p trim with .81 housing, or possibly a larger turbo. I want to run 15-20 psi of boost. How do you think i will fair with this turbo? What will this turbo max at? I will be adding a inline 255 walbro pump (have a 255 intank), and high imp 80lb injectors. I would really love to run low 10s, with out really changing much else. Dyno numbers arent that important to me. My current tune is extremely safe, 12* total timing, and 11:1 afr, on 93 oct. I mean ya more power better, but i like being one bad ass v6 mustang.
Thanks for any advice!!!!

Also what are your thoughts on an ITS turbo? I know ITS is now out of business and that should tell me something right there. lol Has anyone heard of experiences?

You're asking Buick guys about a mudstain? I think you may be in the wrong place unless it has a Buick in it.

It is cool to do something different.
If you don't already have a line the 6776 you may want to
look into one of PT new billet units. I have a 6265 BB S Cover
that should spool really really well and make similar power.
I am hoping Patrick Rubio checks this thread, he works for PT
and will point you in the right direction.

What will the final ci be for the motor?
What Tranny and converter are you going to run?

actually im asking turbo guys turbo questions. Notice i didnt ask engine questions. I obviously got the motor part down, if you wanna be a dick about it. I gave as much info about my motor so you might get a better idea what im working with. I also have head flow numbers as well.
My first question was about the 6776 precision turbo, then i asked about the ITS turbo! So if you want to be like that its cool i dont care, pm me we can duke it out there. If you dont have any valuable info for me just read and move on, dont clutter my threads with crap. This was a serious question and i in no way came on this forum to bash u guys. Im just a car lover like yourself! I thought i would post here since most here are turbo v6s. Thats what i have and im trying to learn as much as i can. Since ford i a lil slow in the turbo 6 area. Mayb i can take some of the buick turbo experiences and use/learn from what problems pop up or what not.

It is cool to do something different.
If you don't already have a line the 6776 you may want to
look into one of PT new billet units. I have a 6265 BB S Cover
that should spool really really well and make similar power.
I am hoping Patrick Rubio checks this thread, he works for PT
and will point you in the right direction.

What will the final ci be for the motor?
What Tranny and converter are you going to run?

I first want to say thank you for a serious gd response. Im looking at all options right now. I found the 6776 ptrim used at a good price, thus the initial questions. I would like a billet, or even bb turbo. That would be ideal but just not in the budget.
This setup is already in the car running. The final cid of my motor is like 235. Im running a c4 tranny, with a bradco 4k stall, rated on a v8 tho. When im at the line i have to foot brake (no t brake yet) and ebrake to try and build boost without pushing thru the line. I try to launch around 3000, and usually build one or two lbs.
There are few people that really push the envelope in the v6 mustang world, and i would like to consider myself one of them. Running a stock upper intake and 56mm tb, stock suspension, staying 3.8l (all the big dogs stroke to 4.2), and still running high 10s.

231 Buicks can use between a 2800 and 3200 stall with that turbo.
I think you could make that combination work pretty well.
If it gave you any issues I think you could try a smaller AR on the turbine housing.
This turbo has run in the 9s with Melissa's full weight GN so I would assume you are lighter and could have just as much fun.
Grumpy could give you more specifics of how hard they had to run the turbo to get those results.

So what are the weak parts of the Ford V6? Does anyone make aftermarket heads for the (assuming iron 3.8 block and aluminum heads)? How do you monitor fuel and timing? Post some pics or video.

I first want to say thank you for a serious gd response. Im looking at all options right now. I found the 6776 ptrim used at a good price, thus the initial questions. I would like a billet, or even bb turbo. That would be ideal but just not in the budget.
This setup is already in the car running. The final cid of my motor is like 235. Im running a c4 tranny, with a bradco 4k stall, rated on a v8 tho. When im at the line i have to foot brake (no t brake yet) and ebrake to try and build boost without pushing thru the line. I try to launch around 3000, and usually build one or two lbs.
There are few people that really push the envelope in the v6 mustang world, and i would like to consider myself one of them. Running a stock upper intake and 56mm tb, stock suspension, staying 3.8l (all the big dogs stroke to 4.2), and still running high 10s.

hey buddy im a ford guy too im more the 2.3 liter guy myself tho
i did a 00 3.8 stang w ported heads big cam , ported intake u get the drift w did a 6776 on that car with a 4400 stall and made 631hp@6400 715lb`s@5100 w it on the dyno after final tuning.

231 Buicks can use between a 2800 and 3200 stall with that turbo.
I think you could make that combination work pretty well.
If it gave you any issues I think you could try a smaller AR on the turbine housing.
This turbo has run in the 9s with Melissa's full weight GN so I would assume you are lighter and could have just as much fun.
Grumpy could give you more specifics of how hard they had to run the turbo to get those results.

My car is 3170 with me in it. At this point i dont have a cage but plan to get one soon. I guess i could try to push the pt61 a lil harder, but its efficiency goes down hill after 25psi doesnt it?

So what are the weak parts of the Ford V6? Does anyone make aftermarket heads for the (assuming iron 3.8 block and aluminum heads)? How do you monitor fuel and timing? Post some pics or video.
The weak parts of the ford v6 is the pistons and rods. Not being boosted they didnt forge the bottom end. The cranks have proved strong as the dont give many problems. Aftermarket heads? HA no, sorry. I have a set of supersixmotorsports ported heads on my car. Yes they come factory aluminum, with the iron block. Again so far no one has spilt a block, that i know of. Tuning is usually done thru an sct or diablo on the stock ecu. I have a lc-1 af guage, and my tune is set at 12* total timing.

hey buddy im a ford guy too im more the 2.3 liter guy myself tho
i did a 00 3.8 stang w ported heads big cam , ported intake u get the drift w did a 6776 on that car with a 4400 stall and made 631hp@6400 715lb`s@5100 w it on the dyno after final tuning.

Thats awesome man! I also have a 88 tbird turbo coupe! Stock, 5 spd swap, and aluminum ds. The car has 256k original miles, motor has never been opened up.
Hey boogey im assuming you had forged rods and pistons. How much boost were you throwing at the motor? You a member on v6power.net? Thats awesome numbers!! A custom turbo kit or what that thru a tma kit?

the pic of my engine bay is real dirty, it sat in the body shop for months and the jacka$$ never bothered to cover the car. oh well. Ill try to dig up more

some vids
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXtf8dOnZUw[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCKHkN0UhI0[/YOUTUBE]

And of course the 10 sec run is in my sig!

Attachments

• TomJr 005.jpg
    TomJr 005.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 248
i built the turbo kit for that car. i used a set of shorty headers cut them apart and made my own turbo headers. it was a stock bore 3.8 w JE 8.5/1 pistons billet rods from howards and a STOCK crank we put 22psi to it a few times but it just blew thru the convertor, our dyno numbers were at 18psi witch was just starting t get where the turbo liked it u may want to consider going to a larger downpipe also we picked up 40hp and got spool 250 rpm earlier w a 4 inch DP

no that was a buddy that lives in TN. He has a 4.2l motor, 76mm turbo, water to air intercooler and custom sheet metal intake. He has the fastest 1/4 mile time for the production based ford v6 mustang.
I hope to make a magazine someday but its not important. My dads car will be all over his time tho. Gotta work a few bugs out and dads car will run 9 easily

actually im asking turbo guys turbo questions. Notice i didnt ask engine questions. I obviously got the motor part down, if you wanna be a dick about it. I gave as much info about my motor so you might get a better idea what im working with. I also have head flow numbers as well.
My first question was about the 6776 precision turbo, then i asked about the ITS turbo! So if you want to be like that its cool i dont care, pm me we can duke it out there. If you dont have any valuable info for me just read and move on, dont clutter my threads with crap. This was a serious question and i in no way came on this forum to bash u guys. Im just a car lover like yourself! I thought i would post here since most here are turbo v6s. Thats what i have and im trying to learn as much as i can. Since ford i a lil slow in the turbo 6 area. Mayb i can take some of the buick turbo experiences and use/learn from what problems pop up or what not.

If you didn't notice no one replied to your thread. I did it as a bump for you.:tongue: I was doing what we do on the board by haggling you. Good luck dumb @ss. LOL

If you didn't notice no one replied to your thread. I did it as a bump for you.:tongue: I was doing what we do on the board by haggling you. Good luck dumb @ss. LOL

Ahh thank you for your creative bumps!! Your wisdom rings thru me like a childish orgasm!!!! Next time you should try to hold out on your premature ejaculation a lil longer and you might actually satisfy someone!

That was just a playful joust my friend. It wasnt hateful at all. It might been a lil over the top but funny non the less.
charlief1, please accept my appology if you were offended by my words? We will call this lil battle a truce then

Easy on Charlie, he's a good guy. That 10 sec video is great. Looks like Beech Bend in Bowling Green. You running a larger cam and what injectors are you using? So you guys used V8 shorty headers that were cut and modded? Thanks for the pics.

That was just a playful joust my friend. It wasnt hateful at all. It might been a lil over the top but funny non the less.
charlief1, please accept my appology if you were offended by my words? We will call this lil battle a truce then

No battle here. Just ribbing you dude.:biggrin: Just as you may call them buriks (sound of a puke), we call the ferds, mudstains, mustanks, ect. It's not ment to be mean but I can see how you would feel that way. You really need to have a thick skin on this particular board. We may all be friends but it doesn't mean that we won't try and get under your skin just to get a laugh.:eek::biggrin::smile: