Turbo ID

frdstang93

Hi Everyone,

The guy I recently bought my GN from swears the turbo thats on it is larger than stock but from the pictures and info I have found online it is a stocker. I am posting these pics and I need your input so I can put this to bed. It really doesnt matter to me if it is or isnt I am just curious if I am overlooking something. Here are the pics.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN0302.jpg
    DSCN0302.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 111
  • DSCN0307.jpg
    DSCN0307.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN0308.jpg
    DSCN0308.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN0309.jpg
    DSCN0309.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN0312.jpg
    DSCN0312.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 121
Assuming it were original to the car it would have only 65k on it, but I yanked everything to do some serious cleaning underhood and some seal replacement.

So now that I have confirmation, should I have this one rebuilt(it has minimal play in the shaft) and where could I have it rebuilt, or what would be the better option turbo wise for an upgrade on a stock setup?

Depends on what your goals for the car are....

Me personally I wouldn't rebuild a stocker...or even buy one that was rebuilt..my thinking is why? When these cars are so easy to get into the 11's and relatively cheap (in terms of parts) to obtain...why waste time on the stock turbo? Hell even the stocker has made it into the 11's...

Figure out what you want to do then go from there...

So now that I have confirmation, should I have this one rebuilt(it has minimal play in the shaft) and where could I have it rebuilt, or what would be the better option turbo wise for an upgrade on a stock setup?

But...an upgrade would be a TA 49/ TE 44/GT 3255...however all of these turbo's will require supporting mods..(Injectors, fuel pumps, downpipes,) Does your GN have these mods already?

The injectors have a blue top but I am not sure how many pounds they are. It has a chip but I am not sure the details of the chip yet and the downpipe is definately larger than stock, as for the fuel pump I know it was changed not to long ago but I dont know if it has a higher lph than stock. I wouldnt mind making this car a bit faster but my intent is to not go too crazy with it. The TA49 sounds like a good idea. Do you know what size those injectors are?

Blue Tops=36lbs...

You need to find out what kind of fuel pump you have...and then change it regardless of what you have...

You should be ok with the DP...ID it anyways...Did the downpipe connect to the elbow on your stock turbo? If it is..then is it either a Kirbans, BGC 2 piece...not a bad thing just kind of old tech..I just sold a 2 piecer for 50bucks..;)

I love it when guys say they don't want to get to crazy with it...next thing you know..they are shooting for 10's:D

Other than a little oil from many years of use,,,,, whats wrong with it?

Does it make boost, and not make oil? Sorry, does it not blow oil when you let off the gas? edit

My stock turbo only went 11.7 they arent too bad.

If your budget is tight, do everything else before the turbo.

BW :)

Other than a little oil from many years of use,,,,, whats wrong with it?

Does it make boost, and not make oil? Sorry, does it not blow oil when you let off the gas? edit

My stock turbo only went 11.7 they arent too bad.

If your budget is tight, do everything else before the turbo.

It makes boost just fine, its just dirty because the previous owner wasnt too meticulous about it. He took care of the car, just not to the standard that myself or most of the members on this forum would. Is there anything I should do to this turbo while its off?(besides clean it)

Take the compressor side off and port the living crap out of it, port out the inlet bell, then port match it to the compressor housing.

You will be able to take alot of meat off that compressor housing, and taper it back down to stock size if you have some time.

I think there is a thread on it here, steve monroe from oklahoma did a detailed thread on the stock turbo porting.

HTH
BW

Funny thing is the stock turbo i was running 11.7, i bought used was from

artrenee10

Then i ported the cold side of it.

Blue Tops=36lbs...

You need to find out what kind of fuel pump you have...and then change it regardless of what you have...

You should be ok with the DP...ID it anyways...Did the downpipe connect to the elbow on your stock turbo? If it is..then is it either a Kirbans, BGC 2 piece...not a bad thing just kind of old tech..I just sold a 2 piecer for 50bucks..;)

I love it when guys say they don't want to get to crazy with it...next thing you know..they are shooting for 10's:D

What fuel pump do you recommend I put in? Yes the DP connects to the elbow on the turbo. Its hard to say where I want to go with this car, I am still just thrilled to have one as I have wanted one since I was a kid, I have spent years being heckled by people that ask me what my dream car is and the response has always been a GN. I have the mustangs to horse beat.