Turbo for my 80 Sport Coupe

GangsterMD

Turbo'd since '95
Hi guys, I thought I had a turbo lined up for my 80 - off an 83 but it doesn't seem to be panning out. I have a few questions and would like some advice. Are there any good '83 turbo's out there for sale? How much $$ shipped to 58329? How much performance gains are there over the stock '80 turbo? Should I just rebuild mine so I know what I've got?
Thanks
Darren

There's several options as far as rebuilding it. Why do you say it needs rebuilding first off.

Well the seals are shot and it's dumping oil into the motor. So seals and bearings would be needed. Other than that I assume it's ok?

Well now I have a better idea of where to go with info. You can look in the general section at the top of the page and you'll find the how to section. Good thread describing how to rubuild it your self if you want to. Parts are about $100 so it's fairly cheap.

If you want a simple upgrade you replace the compressor wheel with one off an 84-85 and you get a little more flow. If you do this you will need the unit balanced again so you will have to send it out.

You can get the parts from Gpop shop if you want to do it yourself.:)

or you can just call Reed at gpopshop. I would bet money he has one of those used wheels around. Good guy to deal with.

Well there's one other option as well. One of our members rebuilds turbos and has started doing some upgrades for the B4black cars now. His name is Reed Partridge or board name is junkbrick. If you want his number send me a PM so you can call and talk to him. I know he can help you out.:)

It may be easier just to email him at his website. Leave your name and number in your email, most likely he will call you if he has one.

Trust me, Reed has the parts and is working on the upgrades to the draw through cars now. He picked up some of the turbos at the GS nats just so he could do it.:biggrin: Here's his website so you can get a better idea of what he does.:) Been trying to get him and Shane together so he can become on of the sponsors of the board, btw.

Who is Reed Patridge?

Thanks for the replies guys. So what type of performance gains would an '83 turbo do on a stock motor? If it's nothing really to speak of then I should likely pull my turbo apart and have a look? Make sense? I'm not really concerned about power anyway right now. It could turn out to be my son's first car so don't want it too peppy :biggrin: But like I said, any sellers out there please pm me with price to 58329 :)

If you decide to tear it apart please go to the "how to" section and read what you need to do before tearing it down. It will save you a lot of trouble in the end. As far as your son, it will depend on how old he is now and when you decide to give it to him. The big turbo upgrade isn't cheap and doing little things will get the car fast enough to go into the 14's at least. 13's with a little luck, so it's not a power house yet.:)

the 82/83 turbo has a smaller exhaust housing and wheel I think so it will have faster spool. I think you need to have the matching exhaust elbow also. If the kits are the same for the older turbos I would go ahead and order one. Most likely if you do find a 82/83 turbo and housing you will need to rebuild it anyway. Is your original turbo still good? If you are still running your original turbo there are a few things you can do to improve spool. You can eliminate the cat converter, run a straight through muffler, and make a cai. Those should net some nice gains over stock.

Ok thanks a lot guys, I checked out the "how to" section and I'll tear it down and have a looksee.