Turbo Choice... 6766,6262?

Lwilliam22

Hey guys, Im currently building my engine. K1 forged rotating assembly .040 over. I've ordered the full throttle XR3 212/216 camshaft. I will run the aluminum champion heads. I plan to drive around town and occaisonally take to the track so street manners is a plus but.. already spent this much might as well push it. What do you guys think would serve me better the 6262,0r 6766? or maybe something else. I'm ready to order I'm just torn in what would be best . Bison you seem highly intelligent on these matters I'd love your opinion. Thanks

I’d get the 6466 ball bearing. I thought the 6262 journal .63 housing was great in the street with 30psi, but the 6766bb .85 housing feels like it makes more power at 28psi and spools similar if you loosen the converter 200rpm. I guess it’ll depend on your converter. A 6266 could also be an option.

I’d get the 6466 ball bearing. I thought the 6262 journal .63 housing was great in the street with 30psi, but the 6766bb .85 housing feels like it makes more power at 28psi and spools similar if you loosen the converter 200rpm. I guess it’ll depend on your converter. A 6266 could also be an option.
Awesome thanks for the info. At this point I'm building as needed. So once I get motor completed then I'll make sure to get correct stall

I ran a 67/66 on my last combo and it was the schnizzle. Spooled in a heartbeat and was still pulling at the end of the track. Consistent mid/low 10 second car that drives like your grandpa's Buick on the street, until you put your foot in it. ;)

On the advice of Pete at Precision and Lou Czarnota (TurboLou) The new combo being built right now will run a 64/66. I also run a Precision external waste gate.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 228
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 225
62mm with the right converter is hard to beat on the street 0-100 mph, if I was more concerned about the track and leaving with big boost and looking to run a single digit number id go 6766 .

Don’t overlook a old school turbo like a te45a (66mm) if you can get a good deal on one. For a cast wheel and journal bearing they perform well. I’m running 10.27 @ 133 with 29 #s ,my car weights 3850 with me in it. My combo is in my signature.

Thanks guys. Full throttle said he'd probably go with the 6766 but was real vague. Im excited this will be my first buick build and its always been a dream car for me. So now that I've already spent some good money with the lower end. I want to continue with a good build I can trust in. The car had an aftermarket turbo on it already but they didn't know what it was. One blade is bent so good excuse to upgrade and know what I have.

I ran a 67/66 on my last combo and it was the schnizzle. Spooled in a heartbeat and was still pulling at the end of the track. Consistent mid/low 10 second car that drives like your grandpa's Buick on the street, until you put your foot in it. ;)

On the advice of Pete at Precision and Lou Czarnota (TurboLou) The new combo being built right now will run a 64/66. I also run a Precision external waste gate.

What stall did you run to get such good spool time?

2800, actually, it came in full stall at about 3k. I can't say I'm good a launching the car.... most were 1.6 60'ft times.

That's why I say the 6766 turbo spooled up quickly and made up for a lot of my deficiencies.........

Consistent very low 10.60's at 128+....... high 10.40's with MPH to match if I was on my game. That only happened twice, though, with an inexplicable 1.51 60ft time.

The 6262 would be my pick. I ran 10.70 with one and a 19 blade(yes very loose) ptc on a simple chip by Turbo Tweak, ported irons, and a 212/212 roller without a hard launch. The same car with 22 psi went 11.06. It will have a 17 blade soon so Im sure 10.40-10.50 won't be a problem.... or faster.

I built a 245ci E85 iron head car with a 6766. Its a torque monster and anything over 18 psi is just too much on the street if you really want to win in stoplight battles. Its more for grudge racing and highway battles.
You really dont need a 6766 on a mainly street car. Its a beast thats hard to tame on the street.

Hey guys, Im currently building my engine. K1 forged rotating assembly .040 over. I've ordered the full throttle XR3 212/216 camshaft. I will run the aluminum champion heads. I plan to drive around town and occaisonally take to the track so street manners is a plus but.. already spent this much might as well push it. What do you guys think would serve me better the 6262,0r 6766? or maybe something else. I'm ready to order I'm just torn in what would be best . Bison you seem highly intelligent on these matters I'd love your opinion. Thanks
64billetbb,it will feed that stroker and spool up like a supercharger.its alot of fun on the street without the lag and can be turned up for alot more power.

Don’t overlook a old school turbo like a te45a (66mm) if you can get a good deal on one. For a cast wheel and journal bearing they perform well. I’m running 10.27 @ 133 with 29 #s ,my car weights 3850 with me in it. My combo is in my signature.
Nova, did Husek build that converter for your combo or just an off the shelf 3521?? How did it spool the TE45a??

Nova, did Husek build that converter for your combo or just an off the shelf 3521?? How did it spool the TE45a??
I have a .63 ar housing on my turbo. Dave Husek did the trans and he speced the converter for my combo. I’m not sure if it’s just his 3521 or if he made any adjustments to it. But as far as the turbo goes it spools really quick. Don’t have any logs on actual spool up. But it starts to make boost around 2900 rpm and its all in a blink of a eye. My only complaint is I can’t make no more boost on my combo with this turbo it’s done at this point. If it was a couple hundred pounds lighter it would run 9s. Not bad for what I have and my weight.

I have a .63 ar housing on my turbo. Dave Husek did the trans and he speced the converter for my combo. I’m not sure if it’s just his 3521 or if he made any adjustments to it. But as far as the turbo goes it spools really quick. Don’t have any logs on actual spool up. But it starts to make boost around 2900 rpm and its all in a blink of a eye. My only complaint is I can’t make no more boost on my combo with this turbo it’s done at this point. If it was a couple hundred pounds lighter it would run 9s. Not bad for what I have and my weight.
I'll be going to the track soon....Never had this car to the track so we will see how it goes but I wanna run it before I get the Husek Converter

6262 will spool 300/500 rpm sooner but I would get PTE BB 6266 Gen 2 S cover with the right converter. Jmo

Thanks guys. Full throttle said he'd probably go with the 6766 but was real vague. Im excited this will be my first buick build and its always been a dream car for me. So now that I've already spent some good money with the lower end. I want to continue with a good build I can trust in. The car had an aftermarket turbo on it already but they didn't know what it was. One blade is bent so good excuse to upgrade and know what I have.

Why not just have someone rebuild your turbo into what you exactly want, and save yourself a few hundred bucks?

Personally I think if you maxed out the 6466 or went with a 62/62, 65/66, or 65/67 you'd be much happier with the response of the turbo than if you go with a 67mm compressor wheel.

90% of people on this forum won't max out the turbos they have, and if you were to max out a 64mm compressor wheel you should be solid in the 9s with great throttle response. If you want a turbo with even better street manners, the 6262 would be perfect. You could run that turbo to bottom 10s without too much trouble.

I'm not sure how much the 6766 was, but right now we (RPS ... www.boostedrps.com ) are having a sale on our WORK turbos...a 6262 is $900 for a rebuilt unit that has a ceramic coated turbine housing, 360degree severe duty thrust bearing, billet backplate.. etc... but hey, don't take my word for it, take the word of our customers' ... https://turbobuick.com/threads/big-thanks-to-boosted-rps.456761/
https://turbobuick.com/threads/boosted-rps.456964/
https://turbobuick.com/threads/rps-customer-service-a.456391/
https://turbobuick.com/threads/best-buick-help-possible.457590/

but hey, maybe we're just a group of weird guys that actually care if a customer spends money on something that won't serve them best....

The 6262 would be my pick.
i havent run the 62 with the smaller turbine wheel just the bigger 65/66 wheel.i didnt loose any initial spool time or full boost ramp in with the bb64 over the 62bb on an iron headed stock stroke motor with compression and that 64 was moving over 80lbs/min.i heard that 62/62 is alot of fun on a heads cam motor