Turbo break-in

turbobuickman

Is there a break in period for new/rebuilt turbos? I just installed a rebuilt te44 and now im getting burned oil in my exhaust. There are no signs of oil going through the intake and engine (yet) so im thinking that just the exhaust seal is leaking. Is there any chance this might go away as the turbo is broken in? P.S. the bearings feel tight and there is no play in/out or up/down.

Only thing I do on new turbo is crank the motor for a bit to get oil to the turbo. After that it is happy turbo time :biggrin:

You know, it's probably oil residue left in the exhaust from when your turbo first went out. Did you get the same turbo rebuilt, or did you just buy it rebuilt? I had this problem when I bought my first GN, I bought it with a busted turbo, and when I threw on a new one, it kept smoking.... It stopped smoking after I changed my cat and mufflers. :cool:

I bought a fresh rebuild, my last turbo leaked into the i/c but there was no sign of leaking oil in the exhaust so its not left over from the stocker. Ive put about 10-15 miles on the new turbo so far and it still smokes. I was hoping once it got broken it might form a tighter seal but now im starting to think otherwise.

turbobuickman said:
I bought a fresh rebuild, my last turbo leaked into the i/c but there was no sign of leaking oil in the exhaust so its not left over from the stocker. Ive put about 10-15 miles on the new turbo so far and it still smokes. I was hoping once it got broken it might form a tighter seal but now im starting to think otherwise.

Who rebuild the turbo?
I once had one last 18 miles. :mad:

It still could take a lot of miles for all the oil to clear out from before. Did you take your IC off & flush it to get all the oil out.

But as far as the turbo breaking in, if its leaking now it will not quit. They dont need to break in.

Just wandering, why did you replace the turbo. Because of the oil in the IC or was it smoking. Or did it just start smoking after you replaced the turbo.

You could have a return line problem & causing the oil pressure to build to high because it is not draining back freely. If so it will cause the turbo to bypass oil until you get it draining right.

When does it smoke, all the time or just idling or when you let off the gas wail going down the road. It could be a motor problem and not the turbo.

Jess