tuning

polin2424

hey guys im new to these tuning stuff. when you guys say tune what do you you mean by that. i know what tune means but what is needed for tuning. do you guys just mean adjusting fuel pressure tuning and gapping spark plugs. what do you guys mean by tuning or how to tune my tr. how can i max out my tr?

Tuning involves everything you can play with.

1. Having scantools is a good start, scanmaster, turbolink, guages, direct scan, wideband O2, EGT meter, etc., assuming you have read and understood the manuals and can figure out what each can do and some baseline info. for your application.

2. Plugs, wires, sensors and everything you can do to make the car perform properly for driveability should get you in the ball park for WOT operation.

2A. Boost control is a must with a good gauge, safe boost for your octane is a must to avoid detonation while tuning.

3. Know what chip is in your car and what it's supposed to do. You just might be surprised at how many people buy cars that don't have a clue what chip is in them and what it's for. Many conventional chips are set for a certain boost level WOT and fuel type, stick to it especially if you can't tell what timing is in it. Back to scantools to help sort out your chip if it's unknown. Much easier to buy a well burned chip for these cars these days with many good choices available.

4. Fuel pressure can be adjusted for some help but most run 40-45 psi. hose off fuel pressure with the "right" chip for the application.

5. Make sure things like oil is changed, air filters are clean, fuel filter is clean, and tranny is serviced along with the rear.

6. If you go racing a lot try running the same tune as on the street, pump gas and alky., it makes everything a lot easier. ;) :p

Just my .02 for starters. :cool:

Tune

Ok Thanks For The Info Now Ive Got 93 Octane Chip With 20 Degrees Timing And Red Top Injectors What Do You Think I Can Do With That And A Stock Turbo?

Whos chip?

What scantool(s) do you have?

Adjustable wastegate or stock non-adjustable one?

Stock chip and solenoid controlled boost system or an aftermarket valve or wastegate control system?

What octane fuel are you using?

Most street chips control the fueling and boost for pump gas street trim so that should be around 15 psi. boost with 93 gas in 3rd gear.

Some give you 17psi. boost in 1st and 2nd when the car isn't under a lot of load.

There's not much to adjust with most street chips and of course that would depend upon on what data you have and can get from a scantool or two?

it has ajustable wastegate i dont the boost on the chip and i dont have a scan tool yet but will have soon right now the beast is parked in the garage but i will be takeing it out soon and will start playing with it. what other helpful info or advice can you give me? and thanks for your help.

1. Get a good aftermarket boost gauge and read WOT boost AFTER you get a scanmaster or audible knock sensor on the car.

If it beeps or you see excessive KR on the scanmaster let off.

I'd start with hose off "static" fuel pressure around 43psi., remember to zip tie the hose back onto the regulator, this of course assumes it's an adjustable fuel regulator.

Make sure the fuel pump is a good one along with a new fuel filter, Walbro 340 or equivalent should be on the car.

You can't do too much with a street chip and pump gas except tune up the car with properly adjusted sensors, working ign. plugs wires etc, good fuel delivery, and make sure the boost that you run viewed through an accurate gauge is not causing any knock.

You need data from a few gauges and a good scantool like the scanmaster for starters.

The vacuum hose is on top of the f/p regulator; if your regulator is adjustable there will typically be a hex fitting on the top, remove the hose and adjust the fuel pressure (with hose off ) via the hex head adjuster to desired psi and then put vacxuum hose back on back on.
D