TUNING SUCKS! Questions Inside

dboosted1

I tried to tune my car, emphasis on tried. I have many questions and they are in no order. Thanks

From what I have read is the "tuning" mostly focuses on 02 value vs. knock. Is this correct?

Im trying to tune with my smc alcohol kit so are the o2 values still 780 witht he alky?

if so...

Do you tune towards 780 REGARDLESS of how low the fuel pressure decreases OR the boost increases, until you see knock?

If I tune without alky and the 02s drop to around 820-830 the car starts to knock

so...

I know the TARGET 02 is around 780 +/- but I have also heard "all TR's are different" so should I just tune as low as my car can go 02 wise without knock and forget the "780".

87 T 42k

afpr
340walbro/hotwire
10mm magnecors
new 02
smc alky
te44

Number one, you need to know your chip. How much timing? Did the chip maker know you were going to be using it with alky? Alky works good with 19° for me. But you have a limited supply. At a WOT pull, maybe 30 - 45 seconds worth before you empty the tank. Couple that with low O2's and you can see that the ragged edge isn't very comfortable, since detonation is basically an absolute if you suddenly run out of alky.
For safety's sake, stick with around 800 while spraying alky. If you have an EGT, try to keep it around 1450-1500 in 3rd WOT. And also use 94 Sunoco if you can get it. Boost should reasonably be 19-20.

Try higher octane. I never used alky, but I use 99 octane on the street with 17 lbs of boost with a TA62 and 50 lbs inj. NO knock! Race level I run 22-24 lbs of boost and straight C12. No knock. Chip has 24 degree timing.:cool:

Make sure your car is tuned properly with race gas before trying to tune alky. You will go suicidal otherwise. Once it is dialed in at say, 21psi with race gas, then switch to pump gas and start tuning. Note the differences, and you can add timing/boost from your baseline to get to that target o2 range.