Tuning Questions

eman035

I just got my car running today! I had the heads off and got them magnafluxed, milled, new intake valves, and all valve seals, after the car overheated. I blew a head gasket and the heads were warped. The block was rebuilt about 500-1000 miles ago but had all stock parts put back on it. Since I had the engine apart I put on some new stuff to go with it. AFPR, 42.5# 009's from racetronix, 160* thermostat, billit K&N breather, blocked the TB coolant lines, and replaced all the vaccum lines and pcv valve. The thumbwheel ultrachip is on its way, should be here tommorow, can't wait. Also a hotwire kit and some gauges will be ordered real soon.

I started the car today, started right up and no fuel leaks. The car is running very very rich though. It isn't driveable, by just hitting the gas about a quarter of the way black smoke comes out of the pipes. The fuel pressure is set to 42#'s line off, I tried to back off on the fuel pressure but it didn't get any better. I hooked up the scan tool and here are some numbers I got.

O2 0.95-0.99:eek:
O2 cross counts 67
TPS volts 0.38
Block Learn 105, Integrator 128
MAF 8-9
Load Variable 50-60
IAC jumps around anywhere from 6-20

Here are the questions. Because I have the stock chip in right now, could that make the car run this rich with those 009's? I know it will run rich because it is not calibrated for those injectors but so rich i can't drive it? Also, my knock retard on the scan tool read 0 but I tried to tap on the valve cover and the intake manifold with a hammer and the scan tool still read 0. Could this be a problem? At one point the car started to idle really bad, I check the KR and it was at like 130, I shut the car off then started it back up and it went back to 0 and remained there and idled better other than the richness.

I guess i'm kinda counting on that chip burned for the new injectors to fix the rich problem, i'm just looking for some insurance or if anyone else has run 42.5# injectors with the stock chip. Any help or insight will be appreciated.

Thanks, Eric

Yes your stock chip w/009's is your problem.Whenevr you change inj sizes,YOU HAVE TO CHANGE THE CHIP!!!The ultrachip isnt the best choice for 009's either(I had one)Best choice is a chip from www.turboteak.com

HTH

I already ordered the chip and should be here tommorow. Am I going to have problems with this chip? Should I try to return it and get a different one or just stick with this one now? Thanks for the info.

Eric

009's are notorious for running rich on the bottom end,my ultrachip ran so rich it would about run ya out of the car when stoped idling.I put a TT chip in my car and the idle was better and no more running rich.

Id return the ultrachip as youll probably end up buying a TT chip anyway...

Thanks for the info broke1, i'm going to shoot off an email to TT here in a min and try to talk to them as to see what they recommend. Thanks again for the help, can't wait to get this thing running right.

Eric