Tune up questions??

Camfreek

Thanks Rob!!!
Ok I have a lot of problems with my 84 GN like over boosting and not running right and so on. I was wondering how you adjust the IAC and also had a question on the TPS. I have it set right now at .45 at idle and WOT is 5.82 is that correct or do I need to bring the WOT down to 4.6 or so? Also can the cam sensor be adjusted or is it one of those deals where it runs its good? I checked and replaced all the vacuum lines and eveything and it still overboosts like hell:confused:

I know this may sound stupid but have you checked to see if the actuator is working right. It could have a pin hole in it causing your problem.

I did

I had swapped it with two known good ones so three bad ones in a row, I doubt it. I swapped the boost gauge and still the same thing.

I am going thru all the basics to get it fine tuned and I hope to figure this boost thing out soon.

Also should I have a chip burned for my combo, and do any of you guys know what the rating is for stock injectors from a 1988 305 tuned port motor??

Two cars and they are becoming a headache:eek:

Also is it worth swapping out the stock radiator for a bigger one, or if I went with a good electric fan would that work out well enough for the streets?

What should my horse power be and my times with this combo??

stock block 30 over
TRW pistons
arp studs through out the motor
Ta 33
Accufab FPR
Stock injectors
Poston headers
3" Mease downpipe and just dumps out (no exhaust)
Edlebrock timing chain
stock cam
FMIC
Jays uppipe (I think)
Cold air intake
Walboro fuel pump and hotwire kit

Trans has a 3000 stall in it

3:42 rear end posi

Any thoughts? I was running at 16psi of boost and the car has never seem to run right and I could never get it to dail in.

Thanks, guys

Horsepower estimate?

"Ta 33
Accufab FPR
Stock injectors
Poston headers
3" Mease downpipe and just dumps out (no exhaust)"

You might be seeing 275 horses... If it is tuned properly. Your "Stock" injectors are limiting you... and they might be what is affecting your tune as well. :D

That TA33 will love a set of 36lbs blue tops. I had a TA33/C when I was "Hot-Air", ATR headers (they were pricey), 36lbs Ford Blue tops, 206/206 camshaft, ported stock heads/oversized valves, ported intake and it was a blast! Combo! Combo! Combo! <--- can't say it enough!

...... I have it set right now at .45 at idle and WOT is 5.82 is that correct or do I need to bring the WOT down to 4.6 or so?

Not sure how you get +5V at the TPS.
Signal from the ECM is 5V, so abviously if you are seeing a value >5V, something is wrong.

If you still overboost with a true TA33, make sure the vacuum lines are hooked up correctly, and that the puck opens.

Something is wrong then

So the Tps is still not right? From what I understand WOT should be at least 4.6v right? I can bring it down to that but then to idle goes why off......

As far as the overboosting goes, I know the puck moves freely for sure and I checked all the vacuum lines like 50 times. I try adjusting the wastgate rod and it does not seem to make a difference at all. Its wierd the car idle surges and runs at about 20 on the vacuum side in park, then in gear it is about 15 then when you start to go the turbo pulls real stong to about 10psi then bam it shoots off the gauge:confused: and the car falls flat on its face.

I really want to get this combo dailed in. It sucks have a nice car and not being able to do much with it.

Just to make sure??

This is how I am setting the Tps. Please tell me if I am wrong? Or maybe my ECM is junk:mad:

Car on in the run postion.

Fluke meter from the middle wire on the TPS to ground

Loosen screws that hold it down and adjust from there.

Tighten screws and double check the values.

Is this correct??

This is how I am setting the Tps. Please tell me if I am wrong? Or maybe my ECM is junk:mad:
Is this correct??

So the Tps is still not right? From what I understand WOT should be at least 4.6v right? I can bring it down to that but then to idle goes why off......

As far as the overboosting goes, I know the puck moves freely for sure and I checked all the vacuum lines like 50 times. I try adjusting the wastgate rod and it does not seem to make a difference at all. Its wierd the car idle surges and runs at about 20 on the vacuum side in park, then in gear it is about 15 then when you start to go the turbo pulls real stong to about 10psi then bam it shoots off the gauge:confused: and the car falls flat on its face.

I really want to get this combo dailed in. It sucks have a nice car and not being able to do much with it.

I think you have miltiple issues going on.
First off, where/how are you reading boost from?

TPS setting sounds right, but .......... if the ECM feeds a very stable 5 V, how are you reading >5V on the fluke?
Are you sure the Fluke is correct?

The surging may be a part of the IC conversion and/or vacuum leak.
Do a search in the HA section.

Easiest way to get it all running right, is to get a scantool, set the basics parameters, and post a log. ;)

Ok

Boost gauge is hooked into that little port on the front of the intake, where they have it blocked off with that little plug.

Also the surging has always been like that and actually worse before the intercooler was put on.

I know the fluke meter is correct, but I will borrow one just to verify.

Is this correct??

No. Loosen the TPS screws and move the sensor vertically as far as it can.

Turn IGN on no start.

Measure voltage-sb ~ .42-.44

Push gas pedal all the way to the floor and measure voltage. You want 4.5-4.6 volts. Two things hold you back from achieving this. One is the floormat and the other is the TPS adjustment. If the floormat is not the issue the following adjustment can raise the TPS reading at WOT. Remove the TPS sensor and lenghten the two slots at the bottom of the TPS sensor. This allows the sensor to sit higher therby raising voltage at WOT. If you are seeing above 5 volts something else is wrong.

Remember, one the TPS is set you need to reset the IAC. Otherwise idle is bad. Brad

Come to think of it

The battery is toast in my car and I do have the battery charger hooked up and it was hooked up and on while I set the TPS. could that be a problem????

Ok what gives

Something must be really wrong. I tried and did what Brad had said. If I raise the TPS up the voltage goes up. If I push it down It goes down. I have it set at .45 at idle and 5.82 at WOT. It does seem to run alot better.

How do I adjust the IAC, anyone know how???

Also the boost problem, I took the wastegate arm of, like my buddy had said to do and it builds no boost whatsoever, but he cant tell me what that means. The gauge is right, the vacuum lines are all brand new and 100% correct. I did look at the sticky and on my fan shroud for the diagram.

Also what why does what to adjust the waste gate rod, longer means waht and shorter means what???

I am making progress and can't beat that, beside the weather has really sucked out here, but I want to take the car to Byron Speedway soon;)

Also I had changed the ECM and it does not make a differance with the voltage?

I do have a 86/87 Ecm I got to get around to putting that in.

Something must be really wrong. I tried and did what Brad had said. If I raise the TPS up the voltage goes up. If I push it down It goes down. I have it set at .45 at idle and 5.82 at WOT. It does seem to run alot better.

How do I adjust the IAC, anyone know how???

Also the boost problem, I took the wastegate arm of, like my buddy had said to do and it builds no boost whatsoever, but he cant tell me what that means. The gauge is right, the vacuum lines are all brand new and 100% correct. I did look at the sticky and on my fan shroud for the diagram.

Also what why does what to adjust the waste gate rod, longer means waht and shorter means what???

I am making progress and can't beat that, beside the weather has really sucked out here, but I want to take the car to Byron Speedway soon;)

Also I had changed the ECM and it does not make a differance with the voltage?

I do have a 86/87 Ecm I got to get around to putting that in.

TPS voltage cannot be over 5. Recheck your meter.

IAC- In order to adjust the IAC you need a scan tool. Anything else is guessing.

Removing the wastegate actuator rod means zero boost. Lengthening the rod reduces boost and shortening it increases boost.

What ECM and chip are you running? Brad

Stock

Stock 1984 ECM and chip in the car right now. I had triple checked the TPS settings and used my buddys fluke meter and he was standing there when I did it and said the same thing you guys are saying.

I set the IAC as per the manual I have from gm states to do and rechecked the TPS afterwards and the TPS did change a bit but only to .50 at idle.

Besides that it did go down to 5.73 at WOT.

Seems to run alot better, and idles real good. It still sounds like a miss and since the wastegate rod is not hooked up the car goes but still has no power at all, I figure it would run good but just not fast.

I am double checking everything.

My brother is going to come out with his camera so I video tape it and show you guys:biggrin:

ANyways if I am doing this adjustment to the TPS correctly then what is wrong with my car that the voltage is to high????????

Besides all that the adjustments have made a huge differance;)

Got it now for the most part!!!!

Well I have been working on it little by little, and it runs alot better now. First thing is the sticky at the top is wrong for the vacuum diagram:rolleyes: Also when I did the vacuum lines I did not know the t fitting is a one way deal:eek: If you have it on wrong boy its spools up quicker then it should. I still have yet to see why I have 5+ volts at the TPS. Bt the car runs good and strong, bt I have a trans problem, under normal driving it holds first a little to long but it drives fine and goes like a rocket, but from a dead stop floor it and it throws you back, then bam, not shift into 2nd:mad: I lost to a Tbird and a Camaro cause of that.......

You really need to get a more modern chip. That will help a lot. Contact TT and see what he's got for your car.

.......... First thing is the sticky at the top is wrong for the vacuum diagram:rolleyes: Also when I did the vacuum lines I did not know the t fitting is a one way deal:eek: If you have it on wrong boy its spools up quicker then it should. I still have yet to see why I have 5+ volts at the TPS. Bt the car runs good and strong, bt I have a trans problem, under normal driving it holds first a little to long but it drives fine and goes like a rocket, but from a dead stop floor it and it throws you back, then bam, not shift into 2nd:mad: I lost to a Tbird and a Camaro cause of that.......

Which vacuum diagram is incorrect?
Actually, depending on how you have the "Y" set up, it should spool slower. :confused:

Still need to figure out why you get >5V on the TPS.
Start a post in the general section about this.

As for the trans; Do a search in the trans section, or, contact Brian or another vendor on this board for a good trans.