Tuff Decisions

Rugby

I need some guidance on this one.

My GN is a t top car hand has rust in the header under the t tops. It has rust in both quarter panels, both inner and outer rocker panels. I have priced all the sheet metal form Gbody parts. For just a little more money I can buy a rust free hard top body with no interior.

Would it be worth it in the long run to swap to the rust free body hard top car and find all the trim that doesnt match up or go head and fix the t top car? This would be my first venture into the body working realm for the most part.

I am leaning towards just replacing the shell of the car.
The T tops does not sway me one way or the other.

While the car is apart either way I am going to brace the frame at the rear by the springs, clean and paint the frame replace anything that needs to be replaced while it it out. Reseal the motor to help with the oil leaks replace all the AC components. It will be almost a full rebuild on a budget. I would love to have the motor built put it is not in the cards at this point.

Brandon

I would go with a solid roof rust free body , imo , save a lot of headache finding any trim you need is not hard . Intercooled88 board member in CT has all the trim parts you need , probably has a solid body too , has a ton of original buick cars n parts . Pm him .

I have done the complete repair that you refer to. It is a large job. I love the TTOPs so I kept it original, plus I was the one person that test fit all the prototype pieces that are now used as aftermarket replacement pieces. I NEEDED to perform the repairs on the company's dime and cost to make sure they all fit, so no cost out of my pocket. Also the repairs labor wise were done on the company's dime by me as well. I too have never done body work, so I went on my own to learn... I had no cost so why not! There is ALOT of time in separating spot welds.

This is my build on the gbody forum

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/1984-buick-grand-national-coming-back-to-life.47381/

If you are up for the challenge do all the work, if not and you want to do something quick and easy buy the tub.

We have put rockers in my buddy's 67 chevy truck but that is not even the same as cutting out the quarter panels and what not.

I want to get the looking good again they work on the interior. I am thinking 12-18 months to make teh complete swap working weekends and making sure that everything is correct before we go back together with it.

I love the GN and have had people try to by it from me in parking lots even though it looks horrible. I just want it to have nice paint again!!!!

Rockers are no joke on our cars. THey are the main support for the body and need to be supported and braced before cut out. You need to make sure that you have good body mounts as well as the spacing on the rocker and the measurements taken to replace need to be accurate or your door will not line up.

Just things that I have learned doing them....and this is referring to replacement of the inner rocker. Replacing the outer rocker is not as structural as the inner. Also the lower A pillar and B pillars need cut and replaced, or put back in as well.