Tubular K member coil over or stock ?

Scott89TTA

I'm going to install a tubular K member on my TTA most likely a Spohn unit. I'm trying to decide between the coil over setup or stock style springs and struts. I have read about cracked strut towers on cars that went to coil overs several years ago and wonder if this problem has been resolved or is it still a problem.

-Scott

Hello Scott, they place the weight of the car on an area never designed to support that kind of stress. If coil overs are used it might be best to reinforce strut tower. If you leave the springs in the stock location it should be fine. Some have run coil over strut without issues...

http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/suspension-chassis/667455-umi-new-product-82-a.html

This is a nice k member Scott. Has dual tube construction for superior strength and is 20# lighter than stock.

Joe

Yeah I knew about the shock tower design was wondering if anything has changed in the last few years to improve strength...guessing not. The UMI is a nice piece but no provisions for our engine mounts, looks like they would have to be fabricated.

Stock style works good. If you are going to race a lot, maybe the coil overs will be good tho.

Went with coil over pro drag kit that will work well with my Lakewood 90/10 drag shocks. Eventually I'll probably get the Strange dbl adj coil over front drag shocks ($1,000) to match my Strange dbl adj coil overs rears. I talked to Trent "ttafan" he has the same setup with coil overs and is very happy with them. The kit has reinforcement plates that sandwich the shock towers. He also has the manual Pinto rack...I'm staying with the stock power steering.

Last edited: