TTA Build Number/Pontiac Dealer

hiballin

Bettie is the boss
Fellas, I'm trying to figuer out the build # of my car. The last six of the vin is 245228. Can anyone that has a number close to this that knows their build number, please let me know what I might have.

Eventually, I'll get the PMD docs to figuer it out. Just trying to satisfy my curiousity for now.;)

Also, does anyone know if this dealer is still around:

Dick Poe Pontiac/Toyota
6015 Montana Ave
El Paso, TX 79925

I'm not comming up with anything using resources I know of.
Thanks for the help!

Dick Poe Pontiac/Toyota
6015 Montana Ave
El Paso, TX 79925

I'm not comming up with anything using resources I know of.
Thanks for the help!

I don't think Dick Poe still sells Pontiac. He sells others, including Toyota, but I don't think he does any GM lines anymore. Growing up in El Paso, I do remember him selling Pontiacs - would always go in and check out the latest Trans Ams.

Chris
----------
1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am #760 (1890 miles)
1988 Chevrolet Corvette 35th Anniversary #1941/2050
1986 Pontiac Fiero GT
1983 Delorean DMC-12
1986 Toyota Supra MKII
1985 Kawasaki Eliminator ZL900

I don't think Dick Poe still sells Pontiac. He sells others, including Toyota, but I don't think he does any GM lines anymore. Growing up in El Paso, I do remember him selling Pontiacs - would always go in and check out the latest Trans Ams.

Thanks for the replies on the build #, I appreciate it.

Chris, have you ever heard of a guy named Kurt Getty (or Ghetty)? On the sales slip I have, someone wrote his name on it with the words "Pontiac collector". I think he was the first owner of my car for a very short time. I'm trying to track him down, but I'm not for sure if he is in El Paso or the surrounding area.

I have contacted the Dick Poe dealerships. They said the franchise was sold in '89 or so. I'm supposed to get a call back with the new name of the dealer.

If this guy's name rings a bell with anyone, please chime in.

Chris, have you ever heard of a guy named Kurt Getty (or Ghetty)? On the sales slip I have, someone wrote his name on it with the words "Pontiac collector". I think he was the first owner of my car for a very short time. I'm trying to track him down, but I'm not for sure if he is in El Paso or the surrounding area.

I have contacted the Dick Poe dealerships. They said the franchise was sold in '89 or so. I'm supposed to get a call back with the new name of the dealer.

Yep, heard of him. He was a big Pontiac collector and from what I had heard, he had some rare Pontiacs at one time. One of the magazines, can't remember which, did a story on him, I believe.

Unfortunatly I never saw him or any of his cars. :(

PM sent!

Chris

Thanks for the replies on the build #, I appreciate it.

I have herd of Kurt. He sold a 74 SD-455 T/A to a buddy of mine back in 91. He collected only low mileage, rare Trans Ams and GTOs. At the time my friend bough his car, Kurt had a 4spd 74 SD TA with 17K miles, a 73 Bruster Green SD T/A auto, a 69 Bobcat GTO and a 69 RA IV GTO that had less than 10K miles on it. All in all I think he had about a dozen cars. At that time their was no mention of a 89 TTA. Maybe he sold it before then. He was a very low key collector. He never showed his cars and would sell one every once in a while through word of mouth.

- Dave

I was able to contact Kurt and we had a nice chat. He did not own my car but he did remember Dick Poe showing it to him.

It's looking like this car was sold to a Buick dealer in North Hollywood by Dick Poe. The dealer's name was Action Buick. That is where the owner before me purchased the car.

I'm trying to find out more on this "Action Buick" dealer. Not sure why they would buy a Pontiac, and then sell it as a used car to the first true owner??

Hi,
I guess carfax has been of no help regarding previous owners,as usual. I have VIN 243432, way up the line, sequentially. From what I hear, PAS took the unfinished cars in batches,so VINs aren't accurate. Also, my research has shown that trans ID is not necessarily the same as build number. Pontiac Historical Services returned my check, saying they only do 85 and lower vehicles. So you know what? I don't care that much anymore. I have a pretty good example of the fastest gen 3 F body out there, and that's good enough for me.

Hi,
I guess carfax has been of no help regarding previous owners,as usual. I have VIN 243432, way up the line, sequentially. From what I hear, PAS took the unfinished cars in batches,so VINs aren't accurate. Also, my research has shown that trans ID is not necessarily the same as build number. Pontiac Historical Services returned my check, saying they only do 85 and lower vehicles. So you know what? I don't care that much anymore. I have a pretty good example of the fastest gen 3 F body out there, and that's good enough for me.

The drivetrain was put together by PAS at their City of Industry plant and the transmission and also the intercooler had serial numbers on them but ended up on any of the engines as this was not a requirement to have numbers matching if you like. There is documentation used by PAS outlining the serial numbers of each item and the corresponding VIN they eventually ended up in. The drivetrain then went up to the Van Nuys assembly plant and was dropped in any of the 1G5 disignated vehicles and they were not build in order as the line of course build all other models as well so VINs where not all in sequence for the TTA's. On the assembly line the engine got their VINs stamped/engraved to match the vehicle. The the cars where shipped back to PAS for final tuning, emblems installed and made ready for shippment to the Pontiac zone delivery place before shipped to the resellers accross the US.

Hi,

That's odd:confused: , in early 2006 they did a different TTA for me. I was also able to get a copy of the window sticker from the service they offer.

You might want to talk to them on the phone about it.

Anyone wanna give this one a shot? ( 237964 ) purchased at
Lane Pontiac
Hibiscus Bl. Melbourne Fl. 32901

sequential build #

Gents, this may work for you. I have spend a few years gathering data on the '86 and '87 turbo Regals. The sequential build # for these cars appears on the original window sticker in the gas mileage info window. At the bottom is a line of text that has the VIN, the geographic code and dealer code (as one group of numbers), the seq. build #, and "G7D".

the seq. build # also appears on the SPI label (or RPO sticker - same thing) stuck to the underside of the trunk lid. In this case for the regal, the top line of the SPI label was the VIN, seq. build #, and "J47".

While I do not have a '89 TTA, the info you are looking for is probably on the SPI label. I do not know where it is located for your cars but I'm sure you guys do. The info on the SPI label changed in the early '90s so I'm thinking you'll find what you want. Hope this helps.

-Anthony