TSM build........little of this, little of that.

david buschur

Just looking to shoot the breeze mostly so I am starting this thread about a build I am doing.

I've owned an '87 WE4 for about 8 years I guess. Bought the car with a blown engine (spun rod bearing). Car was pretty good shape, 30,000 miles on it.

I wanted a nice daily driver to run 11.50's. My dad, Jim, has been into Buicks since he bought his '87 WE4 new. His car ran 10.80's YEARS ago and then went into hibernation, has about 13,000 miles on it now. Perfect car.

Anyway, my dad's guided me through this Buick build from his experience and my being to lazy to research anything. (BTW, I keep saying my dad, I'm 40 year old myself and own a large import performance business-I've run as fast as 7.50's in Ron Luman's TT V6 Buick, 7.8's in my own 122 cu in DSM etc.)

My dad did most of the work on the car up until now. He built the shortblock (stock rebuild) that's in the car, chose the heads, cam, turbo, injectors, chip, etc. etc. I had the car painted. Did some suspension work to make it handle etc. The car ran 11.20's at 123 mph on radials at 19 psi. The car would NEVER run over 19 psi without breaking up. I got discouraged, decided to sell the car about 10 times.

Somewhere in the time I was having a lot of problems I got sick and tired of working around the heat and a/c box. I got a hammer and removed it one night in the garage. This was the start to where the story is going.

Last year I decided the problems were from relying on everyone else to figure out the car and burn chips for it. I installed the Big Stuff 3 on the car. Instantly fixed the car. Never ran so good. About a day later, back to normal, misfires. Make a long story short, ends up my fuel system had become so contanminated with something that is PLUGGED shut my return line. This makes sense since I had installed 3 new adjustable regulators over the last few years because of irratic fuel pressure readings.

I pulled the injectors, sent them to Caspers, they couldn't even identify the crap in them. Injector filters were plugged to the top, less than 500 miles on them.

So it began..........now that I found the problem I could fix it. With the love of the car I have (even though most of the time it was HATE) I decided to build the car the way I wanted it, good or bad, build it how I choose and be done with it.

I think I've lost my mind.

The car already had the a/c and heat removed from my hammer incident. I installed a nice plate with a few bead rolls in it for the cover on the firewall. Mounted my MSD there. The brakes on the car suck. I decided the master and such were worth more to someone else than to me so I pulled them off and installed a Wilwood master cylinder. I've never had such a great brake pedal as I do now. Cleaned up even more room. Starting to look like a real engine bay now;)

I needed to replace the plugged shut return line on the car. I bought a Metco spare tire well cell and installed it. I had an Aeromotive pump/filter left from one of our Evolution projects so I used it. Ran new -8 lines to and from the engine bay. Bought some Champion fuel rails and mounted the SX regulator on the plate next to the MSD. Starting to look really good now.

The turbo, I installed a PT71Qtrim on my existing ATR headers. I also put a Tial 44 mm external gate on. The car has a really large Charge Air FMIC on it already with 3" I/C plumbing. I am going to remake the plumbing as I have never liked how it was shaped.

Installed a set of 95# PTE injectors. The heads I already had and are GN1 CNC'd.

Vince Janis had already built the 200R4 trans, Vigilante lock up converter too.

The rear end is getting the works with a Mark Williams yoke, 3.5" aluminum driveshaft with 1350 joints, Moser spool, Moser 33 spline axles with C clip eliminators, TA stud kit and TA rear cover.

Eibach springs are on the car so it doesn't sit like a truck, full HR rear suspension and two air bags (no need for air since the HR suspension has been on).

I am building a new 109 shortblock for it. 4 steel caps, girdle, steel crank, forged rods, forged pistons, big hydraulic roller cam. When the heads come of the stock block that is in the car I'll upgrade the springs/retainers and make sure everything looks good. I've been warned I can't go that fast on the iron heads but I am going to give it a shot as I have them already. The weight break for the iron heads is interesting to me.

I am undecided what to do for wheels. I am waiting on my order of 3.5" tubing to come in to build the complete exhaust in lightweight 3.5" tubing and route the external gate back in.

The car is looking really really good to me. I can't wait to fire it the first time and get going on more of the project. As soon as I get a downpipe made I'm taking it into our shop to have my brother Daniel set up the rear end and install all of that stuff.

After that back over to Janis Transmission for my trans brake install.

I want to run the car on the bone stock engine like it is now just to get it dialed in a little and see what it'll run like this.

By the Norwalk event I hope to have the car ready with the new good shortblock.

Goal is to run 9.50's with the car. With this many cubic inches it shouldn't be that hard right? Hell I've gone 7's on a 122 cu in.! haha

Looking forward to this year and racing this car. I have my EVO project that still is not 100% complete. My daily driver is a 2004 Evolution that ran 9.97 at 142 mph at the end of last year on radials. I am going to call it "finished" when it breaks the 150 mph mark this year. I want to do it the first month of the year and be done with it. Concentrate on the Buick then.

Can't wait!!!!

David, you got a turbo400 on the way? I doubt the 200r4 will survive a season of TSM. I also would not use the lock-up converter in the nine second range. Trouble waiting.

Also, you were very interested in the RPM limits of the 109, in another thread......I'd go to solid lifters, if you want mo'rpm.

Good Luck!

David, Any pics or details on the Wilwood master cylinder??

This is the Wilwood master installed on my car.

PC080005.jpg

Sorry about the wires covering the master

PC080006.jpg

This a kit that is sold by Steel Concepts Fabrication (it's listed under parts) which comes with the Wilwood Manual master, pushrod and bracket that makes the master sit level.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I am not sure if the Champion fuel rails are TSM legal or not. I remember some talk about them. But can't remember if they were legal this year.

Good luck with the car.

WOW!!! Thanks for the Steel concepts link!

I have been scratching my head on how I was going to properly mount my Willwood master assymbly on my stage car for some time, and now you showed me the nicest cleanest adaptor I have ever seen!

Thanks and good luck on the project.

Very odd, I put up a response to this today and now it isn't here....

I'll get some pics of the car and post them. The Wilwood kit I got has some vague instructions. If you buy the kit make sure you install the heim into the brake pedal assembly BEFORE you bolt it tight to the firewall.

The TH400, I considered running one. Vince Janis did my 200 and says it will be good for 100+ passes without worrying about it. Red's gone 9.40's at 148 mph with one of Vince's 200's and a lock up converter. I should be good to go with the 200, if not, I'll change it later.

According to the rules on T6P, the Champion rails are legal for 2007.

David Buschur

I had to remake the lower i/c pipe as it would not line up with the 70 turbo. Made it out of stainless. I hate aluminum I/C plumbing anyway, when I pulled it off the t bolt clamps had dented it from having them too tight. Junk.

I got the 4" inlet to the turbo all done, nice fat cold air intake now. Looks really good. 4" brushed aluminum for the intake.

One last thing and I can start it. Waiting on the turbine housing flange to be laser cut in SS, then I can build the downpipe and get it to our shop.

Coming together pretty fast.....

IT lives! Car is running again. Fired it up Saturday. Fired right up, just had to change the calibration to compensate for the 95# injectors I put in.

Sure sounds mean with the 3.5" open downpipe.

I am finishing my EVO at our shop which is tieing up my lift. Tomorrow it should come off to go on the dyno. As soon as the EVO's back on the dyno the Buick goes to the shop. I will finish building the exhaust, build an upper i/c pipe from SS, weld the AIT bung in it and run the wastegate back into the downpipe. Then we'll knock out all the rear end work.

I'll get some pics and post them once the car is at the shop and washed again.

Dave
If you love BUICKs like you love Mitsu's, You will be getting DEEP in the 7's. You put a Mitsu in the record books with a 4 cyl. If you continue with the Buick, you may be the first to go deep in the low 7's high 6's. I have plenty of early TURBO mags with your Eagle breaking 13, 12 , 11, 10, 9, 8, and 7's with a 4cyl. Keep up the good work. Hope to see the TSM car in Bowling Green or Norwalk this year...

Sounds like a good plan David - I have the same love for the same cars - but mine are much slower:)

1g DSM 14.2 just and air filter and 15 lbs of boost.

87 GN 11.9 @ 115

GN is daily driven in the summer, the DSM takes over in the winter. Both great cars and I drive the heck out of them! GN 145k miles, DSM 178k miles.