Trying to figure why I have gray interior on my GN

PaulRV6

I thought all GN's were gray/black interior but my 86 is all gray. While removing the door panels I found some type of door build sheet and it says:
Special - WE2
Trim - 82C
Color - Gray

Was my GN ordered special this way? What is 82C trim? No one I have talked to can offer an answer. Thanks for helping me solve this mystery.

paul

Maybe the door panels sheets came with the new doors and interior someone put on the car?

Is the carpet on the bottom of the door panels black>GN or grey>TType?Also is the bottom portion of the console black or is the console all grey?Does the vin# on the RPO sticker in the trunk match the vin# on top of the dash?
Seats could have been replaced?
:confused:

The whole interior is gray (bottom door panels also). I could not find the 82C trim code but I did notice that the WGJ47 is a regal coupe. Does that mean anything?

paul

Are you sure you don't mean 4GJ47?

The inside door panel broadcast sheet for a GN reads 4GJ47, WE2, 82C, GRY. See Kirban's book, p. 41.

As to why your car's interior is all gray, do you know for a fact that it wasn't changed?

The most likely reason is that the interior bits were changed out. I've never heard of a single GN in history that had any differences in the interiors, save for the Lear Siegler seats offered in the '84 GN as an option.

Rich

Uh oh

Did you compare the trunk label to the VIN at the base of the windshield?? If they match and there is code WE2 then you have a GN with swapped out seats. If there is no WE2---Uh oh--that's not a GN. Contact the person you bought it from.

Ravi

I've seen a few we-4's converted by dealers to sell them.Check your trunk lid & see if we-4 is an option.A previous owner may have also added Gn parts.

The VIN#'s from the trunk, dash and inside door sheet all match. You are correct, I meant 4GJ47 and it is definately a WE2. Then the seats must have been changed. Still a mystery. Thanks

paul

Q: Does your GN have the Buick Grand National logo on the passenger dash plaque?

Q: Do the seats have broadcast sheets under them attached to the foam?

Either way the fact still remains...a WE2 car should have black and gray interior. Black Carpet, lower door panel, bottom half of console, two tone seats front and rear,

It's a very easy task to remove and install seats, so highly likely someone swaped them to make their t-type or n/a regal look like a GN.

I.E. I went and looked at an 84 Regal LTD for a daily driver last year. It was gray ext and had GN interior, all of it. with a n/a 3.8. No spoiler or air dams. No Turbo hood either.

In the middle of the steeering wheel, do you have a "T" or a buick symbol ??

You never answered. Is the bottom of the console grey or black?

Originally posted by QuickWE4
The most likely reason is that the interior bits were changed out. I've never heard of a single GN in history that had any differences in the interiors, save for the Lear Siegler seats offered in the '84 GN as an option.

Rich
Not true, The 84 GN interior is different than the 85-87. Instead of gray its more of an off white/oyster and the dash pad is colored black/charcoal. The last run of 87 GN's had all gray lower door trim where the earlier ones had black carpet. There are a lot of differences but I wont get nit-picky with them. Heck, I've owned or parted out so many Regals I could probally tell you the year just by sitting in the seat. BTW my hunch is this car was a theft recovery.

Eric Fisher

Originally posted by Wells
Could this have been a theft recovery?

I vote for this too. And it won't show up on a Carfax or title unless the car was so stripped it was rebuilt.

I'm guessing one of my cars is a theft recovery. Wrong seats, radio, wheels and t-top moldings. The easy things to take. Oh, and the steering column no longer matches the same shade of gray as the dash. ;)

Very common, since any 5 year old with a screwdriver can steal an '80's GM car. :p

A friend of mine bought a couple T's new and a GN all '86 or '87. The GN was last and he wanted a T but couldn't get his hands on one (end of production) so he takes GN and gets it painted dark blue (only bought the car NEW a few weeks prior) cause he hated the black so much (I don't blame him, I do to) and put chrome bumpers on it and pulled the GN interior and installed T seats, carpet, door panels etc. So basically he cloned a T. (he had the $$$$$ to play with)

My point to all my rambling is it's possible someone could have done the same or similar with this car. However my 1st thought would be theft recovery.

On another note one of the T's he bought new was a designer series and was involved in a accident in '88/'89 so he has it painted porsch guard red.

Thru the years a lot of possiblities are out there to the cars history and the reason why things have been changed from their originality.

fyi- my 87 GN was made in Oct 87 (late build) and its got black lower carpet on the door panels..

Originally posted by turbofish38
Not true, The 84 GN interior is different than the 85-87. Instead of gray its more of an off white/oyster and the dash pad is colored black/charcoal. The last run of 87 GN's had all gray lower door trim where the earlier ones had black carpet. There are a lot of differences but I wont get nit-picky with them. Heck, I've owned or parted out so many Regals I could probally tell you the year just by sitting in the seat. BTW my hunch is this car was a theft recovery.

Eric Fisher

flyingn,
the console (center) is all gray. The lower door panels are gray.

Why does carfax say this is a t-type when the option codes show this is a WE2?

paul

Originally posted by PaulRV6
flyingn,
the console (center) is all gray. The lower door panels are gray.

Why does carfax say this is a t-type when the option codes show this is a WE2?

paul

VIN Number doesnt differnetiate, all turbo cars that arent limiteds will have the same VIN, only way to tell is the WE2 option code.,