Trunk wire harness Woes....

1BADT

TurboHolic
The wire harness in my trunk is shot. Every couple of months I have to re-wire it because the driver rear brake light and blinker will stop working. Is there some kind of connector that I could use to splice both ends of each wire with that wont come apart like the crimp connectors I have been using? They just dont seem to hold because the wires going to the trunk are solid aluminum much like copper wire used for your home and the tail light wires are standard wire used pretty much everywhere else in the car. I just cant get a good bite to the aluminum stuff... Any help is greatly appreciated, THANKS

I'd use small household style screw-on wire caps. Prolly not pretty, but they'll do the job.

Yeah a properly sized wire nut should do the job actually. :)

Even use them on my headlights.

You can always use shrink tube over them or black 3M 33+ tape to water seal them.

Never had a problem with my wire nut connections on salvageV6.

is it before the large plug?

the harness has a large plug on the driver side, you can just get a used replacement that just plugs in replacing all the tail lamp wires, heck i'd sell you one for 35 shipped, that would end of your splicing

The wires in the rear are solid conductors if you crimp it its going to weaken the connection, the best way is to solder it. I don't know why they use the solid conductor, if you bend it a few time its going to break. How did this connection get bad?

Thanks for the reply's...

Those are some good ideas but as was said, the wires are solid conductors so they break very easy... This is why I am always re-wiring the damn thing...

Can a solid wire like this be soldered to the regular copper wire used in the tailight harness????

The wire/wires got broke when I had a new quarter panel put on about 3 years ago.

How far up does this wire harness go to the front of the car? Does it simply unplug somewhere in the interior? I could replace the entire thing but it's probably lots of work...

Any other ideas? THANKS

the plug is on the driver side in the qtr welli

you can't miss it, just follow the wires from the tail lamps back, it is the first plug you come to, (wire to wire no bulbs in it) if your problems are ther before it between the lights and there, just replace it, if it is after it further toward the interior, you can get a section of the harness and splice it in. let me know as i have both(parts car!);)

Originally posted by 1BADT

Can a solid wire like this be soldered to the regular copper wire used in the tailight harness????

Yes you can solder it. Just strip the insulation and sand the copper conductor alittle then solder it.

Originally posted by 1BADT

How far up does this wire harness go to the front of the car?

Up to the fuse box. Its the plug on the left bottom of the fuse box. You could check aftermarket company that makes replacement or even GM.

funny this came up ...mine is doing the same yhing now and its the drivers side light only :mad:

I havent looked into it very far yet to solve it since it just started doing it..

Thank You all very much... I think replacing the harness or soldering the wires will be my main winter project this year. Pain in the a** but it may be better then re-wiring every couple months like I've been... SEE YA