Truck Tires--mickey Thompsons Or **** Cepeks

GN ERGY

I'm redoing my 80 Chevy truck. Got a body from S. Carolina and need to replace my 44 inch mudders.
I am looking at the M. Thompson 18x39x16.5 Baja belteds or the **** Cepek 18.5x44x16.5 Fun Country Kevlar.
Looking for more of a street tire than a (mud) off road tire.
Anybody that has used either of these tires let me know what you think.
My truck can handle either of these, it has 16 inches of lift, 3 shocks on each front wheel and 2 shocks on each rear, ladder bars front and rear, 5.13 gears with detroit lockers front and rear,Dana 60 front and Chevy 14 bolt rear. I can fit the new 46 inch Mickey Thompson Baja claw but don't want that agressive of a tire.
Thanks, Tarey D.

There is a no name brand called sport king, they have a street tire, that is aggresive enough that it looks like a mud tire, but youll get more miles out of them. I dont know if they make a 46 though. I have a buddy that has them with a 35 and he has 20,000 on them and has a whole lot to go

HTH,
Chris

MTs all the way. I had Cepecks on a Toyota I used to have and hated em.They were louder than Super Swamper Boggers and thats no joke.I will say that Cepecks last forever though.Me id go with Boggers cause whats the use of having a jacked up 4x4 if it doesnt have REAL tires.

Just my $.01 cause im broke.;)

35x12.5x15 Super Swamper STS (best tire I have put on the truck). I have them on a 92 Chevy truck and I've be through lots of tires, including the SuperSwamper SSR (suck as far as mileage) lasted 7 months in Jax, Fl Maybe 20,000 miles. Micky too soft will not last long. **** Cepecks SUCK none of my friends who ever usded them have liked them. don't balance well and they don't wear good and just suck. I've used Good year MT's and those were nice, but they didn't last very long maybe 40,000 (Denver, Co.) I had Mud King tires and those lasted awhile, I would have went with those, I just wanted to see how the Super Swamper STS were, all terrain type tire. Oh, and you can't go wrong with the tried and true BFG All Terrain. Go Luck.
By the way, nice truck.

Don't go with ****.....I had those on my truck and spent serious $$$$$$ trying to get them to balance!

...I had friggn' 2500 dollars wrapped up in just the rims and tires and you'd think they ride out "ok"....NOT (for lack of a better word)....weights, liquid, sand....every gimick available to get the shakes out of the ride on the roads was futile.

Mickey's have a better "road" quality....but don't hook as well in the sand...had them both and it was very noticeable. Not to mention, if you ever get into mud....well, you better pick your path with the MT.

Anyway, your never going to get either tire to balance perfect, but I'd determine how much time is spent driving under conditions where that is important and go from there.....imho...of course :)

Good luck

My Cepecks balanced fine after about 1 lb of weight on each tire. If the person cant balance a big tire its because they dont know how. Ive never had any problems getting BIG tires balanced.Largest ive had is 44s.

Or maybe its just the fact that us rednecks in AL know alot more than you yankees about jacked up pickumup trucks.;) :D

1lb of weight to balance (per tire) broke1, I couldn't have said it any better, Cepecks don't balance too well. Thanks for the confirmation broke 1. Any how 44's all day long in Az, no yankee here. And any tire on a jeep or toyota should last a while, because they don't weigh that much, put them on a larger truck and tread life goes down. Ya'll have a nice day, ya hear.

I cant get tires on a regular car to last 10k so mileage has never been an issue to me.:)Ill admit 1lb per tire is ALOT just to balance a NEW tire but the road noise is my biggest complaint about the Cepecks.I swear I didnt think any AT tire would growl so much. I still think that if your gonna put anything bigger than 35s on your truck it should be a mud tire.:D

Sometimes the problems with the big tires isn't balance at all but with out of round. The 44 monster mudders I have on there now, where they overlap the outer rubber when they make them, there is 6% more weight there than on the rest of the tire. The tires were about 1/4 to 3/8ths of an inch out of round, after I had them shaved and balanced I could go 90 mph on the freeway and it rode like a car, no shake or shimmy.
I spoke with a rep for M Thompson and Cepek and he said they have better tolerences now with a new manufacturer than they had with Denman rubber who used to make their tires.
I like BFGs best myself but the biggest they come is 37 inches and with 16 inches of lift they will look puney on my truck.
I'm not lookin to mud my truck just a street cruiser with occasional off roading.
Tarey D.