Trim Plate Escutcheon Removal

hemi8

Goin Sideways
Is there a special tool to remove the upper door panel trim plate escutcheons? It looks like some type of male socket is needed to unscrew the special holders off the escutcheons?
Mike

When I was working in a machine shop I took a Allen wrench of a close size and cut it off so I had a piece 2"-3" and then put it in a lathe and had to use a carbide endmill to drill a hole in it deep enough to clear.

The Allen wrench is hardened steel that's why I used carbide.

I'm sure you could pick up some hex stock and drill a hole with a regular drill and do the same thing.

I usually put the tool I made in my cordless drill and pull them off the door panels before I store them

I TOOK A SMALL SOCKET(MADE IN CHINA) AND USED A GRINDER AND MADE A SOCKET JUST FOR THAT OPERATION..I WOULD NOT RUIN ONE OF MY SNAP-ON SOCKETS FOR A TOOL I ONLY USED A FEW TIMES..

A little late to the party, but had to comment for future searches on this topic.

All that is needed is a flat blade screwdriver to remove these escutcheons that are connected from the inside of the door panel. The screwdriver blade will lock against two of the nut angles, rotate, and this will be more than enough to loosen and tighten.

These nuts are not "torqued" down tightly and this approach is all that is needed to get them going.

I know, just did mine, 7/2013.

Matt

That is what I do but a gentle touch is needed otherwise you will be turning the mounting stems off.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app