Transmission temperature

incubus2432

Douchebag
Now for my dumb question of the month (and I did search BTW)......

I just installed a B&M trans cooler in front of my radiator and this also gave me the opportunity to finally hook up my temperature gauge so I have no idea what temperature range it ran at before the cooler install.

The temp sensor is installed in the line from the radiator "out" before the external cooler. I was going to put the sensor just before the trans but with where I wanted to mount the sensor tee it just worked out better this way from a tidiness standpoint. :wink:

Anyway on my maiden voyage the trans, at most, briefly reached a temp of 150 but generally it hung around 125-ish. The engine coolant holds steady at 160-165 and the outside temp was in the low 60's. I didn't flog it much, just a neighborhood run and some highway cruising (about an hour total).

Seems a bit cool to me.....and this temp is pre-cooler......any reason for concern and/or any compelling reason to move the sensor?

Fuild Temp

Fluid temp should go no higher than 185 F. Cooler temps are fine. Fluid should last 100,000 miles at 185, but go up 10 deg F to 195F and fluid life gets cut to 50,000. Every 10 deg F beyond 185 F cuts the fluid life in half.

Mike.