Transmission Pump problems

Buickforlife

Tyler Northcutt
Maybe you guys can help me figure out my issues.

Every 2004r that i put into this car I end up cracking the pump rotor. Last time I had the transmission rebuilt I ended up shattering the rotor after about 725 miles. At first we thought it was a problem with the flexplate so we purchased a new one, and it does not seem to be any different from the old one. (As far as warpage) the old one does not have any cracks either. We checked the thrust on the crankshaft, and there is nothing wrong there.

The first transmission that it broke was the original transmission, I got that one rebuilt, and the same thing happened to it. And it happened again a third time. So I purchased a high performance transmission with a non locking converter, and it quickly cracked the pump rotor in that transmission, so I took it to be rebuilt, not long after that I ended up shattering the rotor. Luckily the builder warrantied that rebuild, and now I have the car back on the road. But for how long?

There is sometimes a knock coming from the transmission once it warms up, not always but sometimes. I am completely stumped as to what it could be.

Any ideas no matter how crazy they are will definitely help me out, I have no idea what to check at this point.

Sorry for the long post but I am trying to get as much information as i can on here. Let me know if you need more information to help me diagnose this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Check to see if the Crank mounting flange is bent, Flexplate runout.
Trans locating dowels in rear of engine Block aren't pushed in etc..

The only pump rotors I've seen crack/explode were from non-Delco parts suppliers.
There are many good parts available from the aftermarket, but cheap pump gear sets have caused many good rebuilders ulcers after seeing the results from one blown and then worrying about how many others are out there "waiting to go boom", use a Delco rotor and slide matched for the proper depth of cover.
As for knocking sound, a pump or converter would be first pieces to inspect.
Good luck.

Kevin.

The only pump rotors I've seen crack/explode were from non-Delco parts suppliers.
There are many good parts available from the aftermarket, but cheap pump gear sets have caused many good rebuilders ulcers after seeing the results from one blown and then worrying about how many others are out there "waiting to go boom", use a Delco rotor and slide matched for the proper depth of cover.
As for knocking sound, a pump or converter would be first pieces to inspect.
Good luck.

Kevin.

I may be wrong but i believe that we have been using the Delco rotors. And I did forget to mention that we took the converter to be rebuilt (it was the first thing we thought of) and there was nothing wrong with the converter.

Crank end play is?
Converter nose tite in the crank?
Space w/ the verter full back, to flex face is?

Maybe you guys can help me figure out my issues.

Every 2004r that i put into this car I end up cracking the pump rotor. Last time I had the transmission rebuilt I ended up shattering the rotor after about 725 miles. At first we thought it was a problem with the flexplate so we purchased a new one, and it does not seem to be any different from the old one. (As far as warpage) the old one does not have any cracks either. We checked the thrust on the crankshaft, and there is nothing wrong there.

The first transmission that it broke was the original transmission, I got that one rebuilt, and the same thing happened to it. And it happened again a third time. So I purchased a high performance transmission with a non locking converter, and it quickly cracked the pump rotor in that transmission, so I took it to be rebuilt, not long after that I ended up shattering the rotor. Luckily the builder warrantied that rebuild, and now I have the car back on the road. But for how long?

There is sometimes a knock coming from the transmission once it warms up, not always but sometimes. I am completely stumped as to what it could be.

Any ideas no matter how crazy they are will definitely help me out, I have no idea what to check at this point.

Sorry for the long post but I am trying to get as much information as i can on here. Let me know if you need more information to help me diagnose this problem.

Thanks in advance!

How much clearance do you have between the flexplate and convertor with the convertor unbloted?