Transmission and oil cooler installations if you have pics

JimP

Does anyone have pictures of how they mounted their transmission and oil coolers, I removed the ones in my car and dropped the front mount intercooler to get to a small leak in the rad. the rad is an aluminum large two row Alladen unit, it doesn't have a built in transmission cooler.

I've had the car about 10 years, bought it from a member here and never did like how the oil cooler and tans cooler were mounted. if you have pics or any tips please post them.

Do most run the oil cooler? I was debating removing it.

While I'm at it I will also paint the grill and bezels with satin black.

Thank You!

Jim

Hi Jim,

I went through that procedure last spring, and took some pictures showing my F-body radiator swap.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/coelacanths-86-gn.415173/

Here's the F-body rad swap article posted on GNTType.org, I used it as a guideline:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/airconditioning/fbodyrad.html

I did it the most cost-effective way, but not the easy way. Not to take anything away from the Alradco radiator, which is a gorgeous, well-made unit, but I simply didn't have the money to buy/ship/convert to Canadian dollars one of those beauties. I wouldn't suggest doing without the EOC or TOC. I was able to re-route the existing TOC lines to the F-body rad's different locations using the existing rad fittings by doing some line cutting and flaring. I installed a separate EOC and documented how the install went in the link above. I would mount a separate TOC similarly. Hope it helps you out!

Last edited:

Attachments

• 100_2493.JPG
    100_2493.JPG
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 203
Those are both good installs. Do you guys have any concerns with regards to the zip ties that go through the fins in the radiator?

I'm assuming the nylon would not rub through if zipped nice and tight. It looks like I might have enough room between the rad and the condensor, or I can just attach to condenser.

I may also remove those cross braces as they seem flimsy, do they really do much? GM must a have had a reason for them.

I think while I'm at it I will also install a multi pass a/c condenser to get Temps lower with the r 134.

Now to find that post with this condenser part#

Last edited:
The ties that come with the external coolers are intended just for that purpose, they're round, push through on one side and you press a square or round locking tab or disk on the other side, which presses flush against the fins on the other side. The kit comes with foam rubber pads that you stick to the cooler standoffs before installing it onto your rad. Regular zip ties would be a different story, because they'd need to bend and form a loop. The included ones just push straight in, and the locking tab straight in from the backside, so everything presses flat against the rad fins and nothing gets crushed or bent. I added a B & M tranny cooler to my '70 Charger and new Champion aluminum rad, it installed with the same special zip ties and no issues there, either.

I read on the GNTType article that the cross braces don't do much and can be removed, which saves a couple pounds of weight.

Here's my set transmission cooler set up: laser cut steel brackets & 5/16" inverted flared fittings on the hydraulic lines...bought it from another board member who was selling these some time ago. (y)

Attachments

• custom gn transmission cooler kit.jpg
    custom gn transmission cooler kit.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 211
  • gn transmission cooler kit cw brkt.jpg
    gn transmission cooler kit cw brkt.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 236
My set up is the same location as 1KWIKSIX

Attachments

• Picture 100.jpg
    Picture 100.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 154