transmision issue

iamjeff

next gen buick enthusiast
after driving on the highway for 10 minutes or so, the transmision will not come out of lockup. When i slow down and stop it seems to come out of lockup , but will shift a bit funny when accelerating normally. It seems to shift early, kinda hard to explain. i have replaced the brake switch and lock solenoid on the side of the tranny, but nothing seems to have helped. any suggestions?

-Jeff

i should add that i know it is not coming out of lockup because while cruising i will touch the brake and it wont come out of lockup. this is why i replaced the brake switch with a new gm part. the solenoid seemed like the next obvious source that could cause a problem... but now i dont really know what to do next

I had a similar problem and my converter would not unlock as the car came to a stop, the car would bog and stall if I didn't throw it into neutral. My problem was the torque converter clutch soleniod (TCC).

To test if your TCC is working, while maintaining a constant cruise speed over 50 mph so you are in lock up, while holding the gas constant, tap the brake, you should see & hear the RPM jump up a small amount each time you tap the brake.

Its cheap & easy to replace, just drop the trans pan, unbolt it & disconnect the plug.

After re-reading your posting and paying attention to what I was reading, I see you said you tested the lock up and changed the lock solenoid on the side of the trans. Sorry, never mind.

Bob

My trans does the same thing so I wired in a switch to the brake pedal wire that controls the lockup and its fine now, it doesnt lockup, but at least it doesnt get stuck locked. Mine does it when the trans is warm, it locks and unlocks fine until it heats up. So this switch makes it think your foot is always on the brake. Im really not sure if that wire affects anything else or not, but I don't have any other isues.

being that gas now cost eleventy billion dollars/ gallon and i do a lot of hiway driving, i kind of need lockup to work. it wont kill the car when i come to a stop. it will ussually come out of lockup if i come to a complete stop, but then the next time i speed up and slow down, it is stuck again. it doesnt seem to do it when the tranny is cold. any ideas?

also, wll this hurt the engine/tranny?

everything ive read when i was researching my problem pointed to the TCC solinoid, esp. it not doing it while its cold. You said u dropped the pan and replaced it, correct?

The reason I didnt bother with mine because the trans has other issues and the TCC will be replaced when the rest of the trans is rebuilt.

Yea, the TCC will not lockup in 1st gear, thats why the downshift/upshift to/from first feels extra hard and nasty cuz it unlocks/locks up right on the shift. 2 to 3 isnt pretty either though.

Gasket

Mine had the same problem after a tranny rebuild. Turns out it was a gasket that was improperly installed causing a lack of pressure to come out of lock-up and the early shifting.

being that gas now cost eleventy billion dollars/ gallon and i do a lot of hiway driving, i kind of need lockup to work. it wont kill the car when i come to a stop. it will ussually come out of lockup if i come to a complete stop, but then the next time i speed up and slow down, it is stuck again. it doesnt seem to do it when the tranny is cold. any ideas?

also, wll this hurt the engine/tranny?

Your TCC solenoid is bad. The transmission is designed so it cannot lock in first gear that's why it unlocks when you come to a stop. All your symptoms point to a bad TCC solenoid. Change it. It's cheap and easy to do.

it is a jay carter chip. and yes i have dropped the pan and replaced the tcc solenoid.

so i guess i should replace it again...seems kinda redundant but maybe i really am that unlucky...
also, is this causing damage to my tranny or is it ok to keep driving it.

aprobst116 makes a good point, but if this trans has never been rebuilt I dont know if thats a possibility or not. Do you have another chip to try before you do a solenoid again?

Its hard on the trans if you drive it like that, thats why i put that switch on mine...gas mileage is affected, but its easier on the trans IMO.

I would drive it as little as possible.

i rebuilt the tranny about 3 years ago and it didnt start doing this until about 6 months ago. so i dont think it is an issue with the tranny gasket. havent been driving it, but i sort of have to now since my wifes car broke down.

If your changing the TCC switch then remember to change the 2 pressure switches while the pan is off and also the tranny filter.

Hate to bring the dead back to life, but I have the same problem. I unplugged the TCC solenoid on the outside the trans and all is right in the world, but with it plugged up the car is a mutt on vacumn. Is this also the TCC in the trans that is bad?

Thanks J