Translator questions

WhoNds8

Allright I need some info on this, here's the deal. My father's GN has the following done to it, 49, 36lber's, front mount, cam, mildly ported heads, power plate, JJ TB mod., etc, etc..... Well his car is falling on it's face at about 4k rpm, it just plain flatens out and doesn't pull hard anymore, which is at about 18-19psi. The thing of it is, he is maxing out his MAF, it pegs 255 at about 4k rpm, well what do you know. He doesn't think that's the problem though and I'm trying to tell him it is. He doesn't understand that the car does not keep adding fuel after the MAF is maxed out, it also has a lean pop every once in awhile too. So PLEASE, someone here help me out and tell him to see the light! Just curious, if he buys the Translator, does he have to get the extender chip? What would be the benefit? Also which would be better to run, the 3" or the 3 1/2" MAF?

maxing ou the MAF does not mean you do not get any more fuel added. Even fairly stock cars should be maxing out the MAF @ 255 around 17-18 psi of boost. I don't think that is your problem. Whose chip are you using? Has it been updated since the heads and cam were done? It may not be programmed to add enough fuel otherwise.

Do you have any other scantool #'s besides the MAF @ 255?

Also, the T+ will be of no benefit without the Extender chip. All other chips will still only read up to 255.

The motor is fresh, less than 5k miles. The cam was broke in properly, the motor waas built by a well known engine builer in our area. The chips he has are T92 and a T108, plus a brand new Jay Carter chip that was burned to all mods. Just using a scanmaster at the moment. Well then what else could it be? The car runs great up until the middle of 3rd gear, with 0 knock.

Not 100% sure but, I believe it climbs with the boost, but I would have to confirm that with a test drive. The car has an XP pump hotwired, all of this is very new. He didn't have this problem until he put the turbo on. Basically after the rebuild it had the injectors already and the cam and heads with a stock turbo modd stock IC, then he finally went with a new turbo and IC. The car hauls a$$ for about 1000' and then quits pulling hard and kind of flattens out, it's nothing drastic or anything, but you can just feel it, it's that noticeable. Any other suggestions?

It does sound short of fuel...but as noted, one does not run out of fueling when one hits 255. :)

Watch the fp up in third and record some data to play back so see what the pws are doing, etc.

Well according to pops, he says that there is no drop at the big end of the track with fuel pressure. The cam is a MM208 with matching springs BTW. He just put a brand new O2 in it, plugs/wires are new. His car should be running low 12's instead of 13.0's. This last time at the track the car could only hit 103mph?? That's no good. Any other suggestions?

Look at the chip's fueling....see what it is doing with regard to duty cycle.

Try cranking the fuel pressure up a few pounds.

I'll try and check the duty cycle this weekend......what about the BL? I remember seeing something about the range being anywhere from 105-150 but 128 is the median so to speak and that anything above cell 128 is adding fuel or taking fuel? And anything below 128 is taking/adding?? Which one is it? We've messed around with the FP before, but it's been awhile since last checked, I believe it's somewhere around 44 static, and it has been as high as 48 static before. What's the norm for 36lber's? Thanks for the replies......