Translator plus

Morden

I need to add some fuel at idle and I'm not sure how to do it.
Does anyone know how to do this or where there may be some pics of how to do it?
I have opened the translator box and looked at it as well as downloaded the manual for it ,but just can't get it right.

Also was not sure if this was the right place to post this?
Thanks

you would use the richer base setting for whatever maf sensor you are using. What chip is in the car? What is fuel pressure?
Mike

Mike thank you for the reply.
I have an Extender Extreme and a Translator Plus in the car. The fuel pressure is set at 46.
I have a LT1 or LS1 Maf.
I had moved the Base from 0 to 2 ,But then the BL moved from 132 to 148 so I put it back and thought I would ask for Help.

Mike sorry I just realized I spoke with you on the Phone about this yesterday.
I did reset the tps to .44.
The iac I couldn't get to set at 15 but I did get 19?( I may need to play with it more.) I would turn it just a little and it would go to 10-12.
I put the car back to closed loop like you said Before I did these things.
Thanks again

Mike thank you for the reply.
I have an Extender Extreme and a Translator Plus in the car. The fuel pressure is set at 46.
I have a LT1 or LS1 Maf.
I had moved the Base from 0 to 2 ,But then the BL moved from 132 to 148 so I put it back and thought I would ask for Help.

Thanks again
Well that would make sense because that is the lean idle setting for a LS1 sensor. You need to measure and figure out which MAF you have the setting are different. There is a chart on the lid or you can get a manual from fullthrottletech.com

MAF BASE New Style MAF - Old Style ECM
0 3.5” LT1/LS1 MAF sensor (Turbo V6) No change
1 3.5” LT1/LS1 MAF sensor (Turbo V6) (richer at idle)
2 3.5” LT1/LS1 MAF sensor (Turbo V6) (leaner at idle)
3 3” Caprice/Impala MAF sensor (Turbo V6)
4 3” Caprice/Impala MAF sensor (Turbo V6) (richer at idle)
5 3” Caprice/Impala MAF sensor (Turbo V6) (leaner at idle)

Mike

Mike I think I just got confused with the chart.
I do have the manual for it, But I think I was looking at it wrong.
I wont bore you with the details.(the old style ECM New PCM got me):redface:
I do have a Question.
If I set it to 1 then how much more fuel is that?

Thanks again

MAF BASE New Style MAF - Old Style ECM
0 3.5” LT1/LS1 MAF sensor (Turbo V6) No change
1 3.5” LT1/LS1 MAF sensor (Turbo V6) (richer at idle)
2 3.5” LT1/LS1 MAF sensor (Turbo V6) (leaner at idle)
3 3” Caprice/Impala MAF sensor (Turbo V6)
4 3” Caprice/Impala MAF sensor (Turbo V6) (richer at idle)
5 3” Caprice/Impala MAF sensor (Turbo V6) (leaner at idle)

About 10% but try the 3" setting too and see which way the car drives better (not just BLM)
MIke

If your idle BLM is at 132 I would just leave it alone. That is close enough to 128 to not worry about it. A change in the weather can change your BLM, If you are + or - 10 of 128 you are fine and the chip is doing what it is supposed to.

HTH
David

I'm working on a rough idle problem.
The BL is not really a concern at this time.
Thanks for the info.

Mike
I set the Translator to 1 and the BL moved to 116.
The car still moves around in the idle 825-925 in closed loop. (should I try open loop?)
I have the TPS set at .44.
Now the IAC was at 23 Today? (then I restarted the car and it's 15????) any ideas?
I know I have the fuel pressure a little high so I will move it down to 45.
Now for the ride in the car... all I can say is WOW!!!
The car ran smoother going down the road and the power was alot better.
Thanks alot Mike for the Help!!

Mike I pulled the MAF and it is a LS1 Maf.
I tried the 3" setting ,But the car didn't like that!! It started and then shut right off.
You said that the 1 setting is about +10% at idle. Is there a setting for +5%?
Thanks

TurboBuRick
Yes I have. I really didn't see much of a change.
Should it be quick or have to wait for it learn?
Thanks for the help.
Also my BL is now at 117-118 going down the road(cruising).
At idle it's about 126-129
I don't know if this helps?

The change is instant. No learning required.

Even when in normal closed loop mode, the ecm is in open loop for short time when the car is first started. A blinking dot on the scanmaster indicates open loop. A solid dot indicates closed loop.

It does this to give the o2 sensor a chance to get up to operating temp.

Is it just idle thats rough now?

Yes just the idle.
I have noticed that the car will surge (i'm not sure thats the right word) when the cruise is on. How I know is not so much feeling it in the car ,But I can see the Vacuum/Boost gauge move up a little(ex. pulling 16lb Vacuum then 13lb then back to 16lb)?
Thats the only odd thing.
Thanks again

TurboBuRick
Yes I have. I really didn't see much of a change.
Should it be quick or have to wait for it learn?
Thanks for the help.
Also my BL is now at 117-118 going down the road(cruising).
At idle it's about 126-129
I don't know if this helps?
Yes this does help, it tells me that the car is about as clost to perfect as it can be. In cruise the ecu has to pull a touch of fuel but the car will run EXACTLY the same A/F ratio at 118 as it does at 128.
leave it alone
Mike
try the richer idle setting for the 3.5 sensor that will drive the BLM down a bit and maybe calm the idle but it will not make the car run richer or move the BLM in the ECM

Yes just the idle.
I have noticed that the car will surge (i'm not sure thats the right word) when the cruise is on. How I know is not so much feeling it in the car ,But I can see the Vacuum/Boost gauge move up a little(ex. pulling 16lb Vacuum then 13lb then back to 16lb)?
Thats the only odd thing.
Thanks again
Since the a/f ratio is good I think you are dealing with a bit of compressor surge with the crusie on. Bigger throttle body will help but for 3" of vacuum it would be a waste of money. DO you have the lean crusie enables on the chip if so try it with it off.
Mike

Since the a/f ratio is good I think you are dealing with a bit of compressor surge with the crusie on. Bigger throttle body will help but for 3" of vacuum it would be a waste of money. DO you have the lean crusie enables on the chip if so try it with it off.
Mike

Mike I don't have the lean cruise enable. I did notice today that the BL was down to 110 cruising at about 75? Should I be concerned? When I give it gas it goes to 117-118. At idle it is around 126-127.

I think I may have found my rough idle.
I was off today and took the car by a old school speed shop they said it sounded like it has a ignition misfire.
I have replaced the plugs and wires with no change.
I have tested the coil and it shows to be good.
I'm going to pull the ignition module off and look at it.
Any other thoughts?

Thanks again

I am going to tell you that you are a little too caught up in chasing the numbers you will never get it to 128 all the time or even close ALL the time. Be more concerned about how the car drives and you keep saying that it drives great. Put some time on it and let all the blocks learn work on the idle, check your pcv and egr valves. How is your 02 or air/fuel at WOT? getting any knock? you may be too rich on top? Keep working your doing great but don't sweat the numbers all the time and give the car whatit wants
Mike

I am going to tell you that you are a little too caught up in chasing the numbers you will never get it to 128 all the time or even close ALL the time. Be more concerned about how the car drives and you keep saying that it drives great. Put some time on it and let all the blocks learn work on the idle, check your pcv and egr valves. How is your 02 or air/fuel at WOT? getting any knock? you may be too rich on top? Keep working your doing great but don't sweat the numbers all the time and give the car whatit wants
Mike

Hey Mike
The car does seem to run good.
Just the idle is rough.(or so I thought)
The guy at the shop said he could feel that the car has a misfire at idle and going down the road.(I can't feel it under boost?) But I do feel it going down the road it just feels like a little bump.
So that's what I'm trying to find now.
I have checked everything spark related except for the crank sensor?(I did check it for be loose it was not)
I just don't know if that could even cause the problem?

The O2 at WOT are around 830 and 0 Knock.
I just put a new PCV in AC Delco I had a PCV 1162 in before.
I'm told that the EGR is Blocked on the inside of the intake? I don't know that for sure, But I can take the EGR off and check it.(the computer doesn't use it as you know)

I really appreciate the help.