Translator Plus Replacement

Mike Licht

I was here first
The Translator plus has been around for many years and served us well but now we have an updated unit. Introducing the Translator Gen II. The Gen II unit has an LCD display like the Pro and also the + or - 60% fuel tuning across the RPM band. It can use all the same sensors as the translators plus we will have a 4" sensor that we will produce in house later this summer. It also has "wide band tracking" so that you can have closed loop fuel control when a wide band sensor is installed like the Innovate LC-1. It is compatable with any chip but when used with our Tuner Pro chip it will also control timing right from the front panel switches and display. They will ship in about 3 weeks and will sell for $269.99
Mike Licht

Yes it is it will work perfectly. Then only thing the pro chip does is add timing control other than that they are the same chip
Mike

Mike Licht said:
It also has "wide band tracking" so that you can have closed loop fuel control when a wide band sensor is installed like the Innovate LC-1. It is compatable with any chip but when used with our Tuner Pro chip it will also control timing right from the front panel switches and display. Mike Licht

By "wide band tracking", is this to say my fueling will now be tailored based solely on WBO2 data in lieu of NBO2 data? How would I keep the ECM from adversely reacting due to a lack of NBO2 data, or would the WBO2 be in addition, and that WBO2 data overrides the NBO2/ECM going-ons? Sorry if this is nebie-ish sounding; I've been out of the loop here for a while. Got a study guide? ;)

at7we2 said:
pictures??

Hm, lets see ........

Gen2.jpg

Gen2inhand.jpg

MAFTfamily.jpg

B

Dean said:
By "wide band tracking", is this to say my fueling will now be tailored based solely on WBO2 data in lieu of NBO2 data? How would I keep the ECM from adversely reacting due to a lack of NBO2 data, or would the WBO2 be in addition, and that WBO2 data overrides the NBO2/ECM going-ons? Sorry if this is nebie-ish sounding; I've been out of the loop here for a while. Got a study guide? ;)

the NB feeds the ECM, so whatever the ECM wants to do with it (open loop or closed loop) is determined by the chip.

The WB feeds the MAFT Gen-II, and at WOT the unit will maintain your desired AFR, programmed at 2000 RPM increments from 2000 up.

We are working on a closed loop at cruise feature for the Gen-II, and the Pro to allow programming a lean-cruise as well as other tricks... more details to come.

Any future features will be free downloads, as the unit is updatable by the user.

B

WOW!!

that's pretty cool!!!

turbo Buick technology is beginning to evolve like home computers - latest and greatest one day, out-moded the next. :cool:

at7we2 said:
WOW!!

that's pretty cool!!!

turbo Buick technology is beginning to evolve like home computers - latest and greatest one day, out-moded the next. :cool:

Nothings been obsoleted, except for maybe the Trans-Plus. But that's been around for 10+ years....... :)

Just more variety.....

Bob

TurboBob said:
the NB feeds the ECM, so whatever the ECM wants to do with it (open loop or closed loop) is determined by the chip.

The WB feeds the MAFT Gen-II, and at WOT the unit will maintain your desired AFR, programmed at 2000 RPM increments from 2000 up.

We are working on a closed loop at cruise feature for the Gen-II, and the Pro to allow programming a lean-cruise as well as other tricks... more details to come.

Any future features will be free downloads, as the unit is updatable by the user.

B

Doh.....

AFR tracking is tuned in at 1000 RPM increments starting at 2000 RPM......

B

Connectivity is more like the Pro.

You would, in most cases, use a 6" adapter (like the one you have with the T+) and use it to plug the new MAF into the stock wiring.

Then you would connect the Gen-II to the wiring at the ECM. The Gen-II stays inside the car, and is adjusted with the keypad. Its not 100% plug-and-play, although we are working on direct plug harnesses, they tend to be expensive for stuff like this.

Bob

I know the Trans Plus has been around a long time, but could you still get a Trans Plus if desired? For those that don't want to run the wiring into the car.

I suppose, but the standard install on the Gen-II does not involve running wires thru the firewall. The MAF gets plugged into the stock MAF plug using an adapter. The Gen-II is wired into the stock wiring at the ECM, intercepting the signal from the new MAF and translating it into GN format.

Bob

this sounds great !!

any types of mounting brackets for this or the pro yet?

WLDWST said:
I know the Trans Plus has been around a long time, but could you still get a Trans Plus if desired? For those that don't want to run the wiring into the car.
Trans plus is going to be phased out the GEN 2 is a much nicer unit.
Mike

TurboBob said:

B

Please pardon my ignorance, but how would this be superior to the T+?

Just taking a guess here, but I suppose the Gen-II gets its WB data and compares that to the programmed target, and then the actual MAF gps data is altered up or down before it is sent to the ECM. Now the ECM gets this altered MAF data, but it is still relying on NB data to make its ultimate fueling calculation. Might be right, might not.

Just trying to determine if it is worth changing over from my T+.

Thanks,

Dean

The Wideband tracking only operates at WOT, so the NB is being ignored.

The Gen-II alters the MAF signal to correct the AFR to your desired target.

The tuning is much more finely adjustable, both part throttle and WOT.

Bob