Trans shifts hard after warmed up

Dan K

First off, I don't have a temp gauge so I have no trans temps to go by.
When I first take the car for a ride the shifts are perfect and tv cable seems to be adjusted correctly.
After I've driven the car for 20 minutes or so the 1-2 and 3-4 become so firm at light throttle pressure the car jerks when it shifts. When I'm accelerating at 1/4 throttle or so, shifts seem to be fine...just at really light throttle.
Last fall I put in a PTS shift kit and pressure regulator system, but haven't driven the car much since and just recently got the tv cable set where the shifts seem to happen at the correct time.
What would cause the shifts to get harder once the trans warms up? I've just got regular dexron III in it...switching over to Mobil 424 shortly.
Any ideas?

This is just my 2cents. usually when warm is when valves like to stick. Harsh shifts are usually the t.v. valve hanging. If it works fine cold I would suspect the tv. Always factory adjust tv cables. if the 1-2 shift is not right, the rest won't be right. To factory adjust push in the button and slide the bar to the rear (firewall of vehicle). once it is all the way back, with the engine off, push the accelerator to the floor. You should hear a pop and you're done. A trick I learned to free the tv while still in the vehicle is run the car to @60 mph. Place the car in neutral shut off the engine, and slowly pump the gas 5-6 times then start the car and throw it in drive. I hope any of this works for you. Like I said just my 2cents.

Been putting HR motor mounts in so I haven't tried re-adjusting the TV cable until a couple of minutes ago.
If I push the detent in and then push the cable in towards the firewall and then get in the car and push the gas pedal...it does nothing.
Does this mean that the adjuster is bad or the cable is stretched?
If the cable is stretched wouldn't that explain why the car shifts harder once it's warm?

tv cable

Sounds like you may have a stretched cable. They don't always want to adjust. If the cable looks like it did not move, go ahead and grab the throttle linkage by hand and open it to full throttle. Basically till you can't move it any more. If it doesn't spring forward you may need a new cable. Hope this helps.
Allan

I had a feeling it might be stretched.
I did a search last night for alternative ways to adjust the TV cable other than using the self-adjuster.
Found 1 that sounded like it might work. Pushed the detent in and pulled the cable out towards the front of the car a little bit, then had a friend get in the car and floor it while I grabbed the tv cable on the side closer to the firewall and pulled it towards the back of the car as hard as I could (within reason). Seems to be adjusted right...maybe need it 1 click looser.
I need to get a speedo gear and temp gauge from PTS, maybe I'll get another cable and adjuster for the hell of it and see what happens.
Thanks!