Trans shifting issue

Robbie-87plz

Junior Boost-Head
Gents, got in the car this morning (yeah it's about 0610 as I'm typing this), started the car, shifted into drive and after a few feet, tried to place it into park. The shifter slid into (P)ark, with no click. Releasing the brake slowly, the car went forward a little. So Shut it off, crawled under, the linkage is good, the firewall area-it doesn't move went my wife tried shifting it. So, I'm guessing that it's something from aft of the firewall to the shifter.

Second question, the TV cable going into the trans, from the flex cable area-the outer metal strands appeared cut/severed. Would that affect the shifting of the car? So it basically is riding on the plastic middle. TIA for all the help fellas.

Anyone? I'm not sure if I explained myself clearly. Please let me know if I need to expound some more. Thanks!

Thanks Chris for the reply. I took off the console, and was the loose spring that keeps the selector in location.
The other problem is the cable, it was cut/frayed where it enters the trans, appears to be binding, so I'm currently looking for one locally. If not I'll order one online.
Thanks for the help, Jackson, Geoff and Chris.