Trans. shield for a TH400?

V6Power87

I asked this question in the transmission section and didn't get much response. What kind of trans. sheild did you guys use for a TH400 in a stock floorpan GN? I have an ATI ultrabell and just need the case sheild. I really don't want to use a blanket.

Louie? Cal? :)

I dont think there is anything that will fit over the ultrabell. Its just so bulky. I suggest a call to JW and see how they have solved this in the past.I just went to their website and its horrible. I know the Ultrabell is only considered only flywheel-flexplate shield, but most guys using it dont bother with a trans shield when using it.

Louie, I think most trans. sheilds just cover the case and not the bellhousing, I could be wrong though. If that was the case, then the Ultrabell wouldn't have any effect on a trans. case hopefully.

thanks!

You may be right. I am shield illiterate.. I only have experience with the Ultrabell and the above listed CSR unit. BTW, the CSR is nice and fits well, unfortunately the install itself, especially the tightening of the new longer bolts is almost impossible. It will drive you insane. I know the Unltrabell uses countersunk allen heads which i dont think will work with the CSR shield.

The CSR shield will not work with the Ultra-bell. I called CSR and asked them. I have an Ultra-bell on mine and used the Hughes shield. I don't have the stock cross member in there though. It's really tight to say the least. It hits the passanger side of the tunnel.

HTH,
Scott

Quick Turbo V6 said:
The CSR shield will not work with the Ultra-bell. I called CSR and asked them. I have an Ultra-bell on mine and used the Hughes shield. I don't have the stock cross member in there though. It's really tight to say the least. It hits the passanger side of the tunnel.

HTH,
Scott
Thanks scott. I guess I might end up going the blanket route. :(

Do you care about the SFI rating?

If not. I can make you one out of 4 layers of Carbon Kevlar.

John

V6Power87 said:
Thanks scott. I guess I might end up going the blanket route. :(

It might fit better with the stock crossmember in there. I don't like the blankets, way to much heat gets held in. You can always "make" alittle room with a BFH ;)

Scott

This carbon fibre piece you wil mold around the tranny for a nice tight fit? I;m interested.

The CSR thm-400 unit won't fit a stock floor pan with or without the ultra-bell. I had to cut and raise the floorpan to clear the shield in my car.

I use the blanket. The drum must still be protected with the ultrabell. Overheating with a blanket is a bunch of BS. I see acceptable temps with my trans temp, I log it with my racepak and have a BIG cooler with a fan and it is shut off by the time I get back to the pits (180F). I have ran without the blanket and I can see no notable difference in cooling. The blanket is pretty simple to deal with. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Is the blanket easy to R&R? so you could leave it off while on the street and then put it on when you go to the track?