Trans question before I buy a new one

russgoodman

I think I have some sort of trans problem and wanted to see if anyone had any advice before I buy a new one and spend $2k.

Background on trans - its a 200r4, its been rebuilt by some shop in NY or NJ called FB transmissions (Frank Brown?) prior to me and previous owner purchasing car. No info was given to him on the rebuild - only stickers on trans case and under hood with shop's info. It had a mismatched converter in it and I replaced it with a 3200 stall 9x11 l/u unit.

Background on problem - I cannot get this car to 60 ft and I have been chasing this problem for a long time. Replaced converter, replaced powermaster (brake light on, acc prob I suppose) with hydroboost, line lock, long shoes and s-10 cyl, MT drag radials, goodyear slicks, and now MT slicks. HnR LCAs, ATR rear sway bar, Bilsteins. No exhaust leaks from header. Car only has 63K miles and is in good shape mechanically.

Bought a powerlogger and logged three runs at the track. All three show that the car is in 3/4 gear all the time. RPMs show about 4600-4800 throughout the runs without any noticeable shifts. Last pass I made that night - on a freshly sprayed track, MT 28x10.5 slicks, 10# launch off footbrake per my gauge (14# per powerlogger), I managed to 60 ft a 1.73 (my best ever and only 4th less than a 2.0). All passes at track made with car in "D".

Trans doesn't feel like its slipping. Sometimes when Im in my neighborhood (dirt/gravel road - I drive it 10-15 mph) I can feel the trans searching for gears. This and the slow take offs are my only problems.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me to try before buying a new trans? I am going to reset the TV cable just to eliminate that. If I drive the car around in 1st manually what should I look for? I'm scared to manually shift at the track in case I screw up and miss a gear and blow the thing up. I thought about putting the car in 1st manually and checking the PL and seeing if it still shows 3/4 gear or not. I'm just kinda at a loss here.

I have no problems buying a new unit - I think that it could give me piece of mind knowing what I have instead of guessing.

Thanks for any help

PL runs attached here http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/scan-tool-tech/322766-first-powerlogger-runs-any-advice.html

Just to clarify, I think the car is launching in 2nd gear (or even 3rd) and I forgot to put that in the original post. :eek:

Sounds like the 3rd clutch is holding. Just done a trans last month. The 3rd clutch was stuck together 2nd gear band was smoked. The guy had been driving the car like that for over a year. Said the same thing he never felt it shift. One day he put trans in manual first and notice it was locked up like a trans brake.