Trans help needed

dartguy340

T-Type guy
Here's what's going on with my 86 T-Type. I drove over to the hardware store everything was working fine. Got
out of the store 15 minutes later, coming up to a red light, saw the right lane was open so I got over, light
turned green as I was rolling up to it, kicked her down, everything okay still, I am in 3rd now, going about 45,
all of a sudden it downshifts to 2nd gear, why, I do not know! It shifts back into 3rd, and I am picking up speed
but notice that it hasn't shifted into overdrive yet and I am doing almost 55 mph now. I let off of the gas and it is
acting like it is "freewheeling", it will not shift into OD. I come up to another red light, stop and wait for green, get
ready to pull away and notice it won't shift into 2nd, I keep giving it more gas, it finally shifts around 3500 rpm.
Same thing when it shifts into 3rd, around 3200 it shifts and still no OD kicking in. I am thinking the springs in
the governor broke. I go about 3 miles come up to another stop lite, same thing, won't shift until I raise the rpm's,
and it's acting like It's got a shift kit in it! About another 5 miles down the road after stopping and starting it is now
shifting at a lower rpm but with a bang! Even under light throttle, but still no OD working. I check fluid, it is full, TV
cable is connected and I feel tension.
I got a trans pack shift kit about a month ago that I was going to put in when it got cooler out so, I guess that
time is now! Does anybody got any ideas what to look for in the governor when I get it apart. I have rebuilt around
125 turbo 350's, 400's, and torqueflites, but only 5 2004R's and 700R4's. So I know a little about auto. trannies. I am
open to your thoughts and ideas....thanks guys!

I own two of turbo Regals but I can't remember if they have a vacuum modulator on the trans. I'd check if you have one and if the line is leaking or the modulator went bad. That would simulate wide open throttle making the trans shift late and hard.

I own two of turbo Regals but I can't remember if they have a vacuum modulator on the trans. I'd check if you have one and if the line is leaking or the modulator went bad. That would simulate wide open throttle making the trans shift late and hard.
Thanks the first thing I thought about when it was acting up, because I had turbo 350's in the past that would not shift if the hose
fell off the vacuum modulator or it went bad. I know that 200's don't have a modulator. I am wondering if the governor has nylon teeth on it's shaft like the 350 and 400 trans do. I just drove it now and it worked okay but, after 10 minutes of driving it is shifting hard
and no overdrive again! I will have to keep digging until I get some help from the tranny guys. Will probably end up dropping the pan
tomorrow morning-thanks "standup".

Update: I drove it this morning at 7am, it worked fine! Shifted without a bang, overdrive worked...don't know what is
going on..maybe the pump is going out? Gonna wait and see if it gets worse before dropping the pan. :confused:

Possibly the TV Plunger is binding/sticking in the Sleeve, this usually acts up more when the Trans gets up to Op. temp.
Try giving the TV cable @Throttle Body a dozen or so quick jerks & let it snap back, may clear it up. If it does temporarily, you know where to look.
TV & Plunger location > Sonnax - Aftermarket replacement transmission, torque converter, and high performance automotive parts

That's what I was thinking also that some valve or the governor was sticking. The car did sit for about 8 years before I got it. I will try that and see if it helps. Thank you and have a good day!

Sounds like a sticking valve in the valve body. After my recent build I had similar issues. I thought I had cleaned everything out but I had issues with valves sticking. After changing several pan filters I added an in-line filter as well, voila. I have no more issues. I'd drop the pan and see if you have any clutch material in there. If it freed itself up your lucky, I had a valve stuck that needed to be pulled out with a small pick then replaced. I wouldn't hammer on it too hard because if your boost valve gts stuck you may be driving around with lower line pressure and burn up clutches.

Update

Thanks JimP.....that's what I've been thinking also, it has been shifting fine again so far.
It has still been acting up once in a while, but sometimes all it takes is flooring it and letting up quickly so I am thinking that a valve is sticking in the TV cable....I will have to check it out next spring!