• Mobil 1 synthetic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dexron II

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

1KWIK6

UNDER PRESSURE!!!
Let's make this the definitive answer to the often asked question of which atf to use in a 2004r. I already searched the subject and concluded that many people use the tractor hydraulic fluid. I have no intention of running this. Here's the big question......which of these atf is preferred/best?:

1) Type F
2) B&M 'Trikshift'
3) Mercon/Dexron III
4) Mobil 1 synthetic ATF
5) Dexron II

TIA for your replies. Hopefully this thread will help others who do a search on the same subject.

-Ron;)

Any but..

Number 1&2 I would not use.

And, you left out a Tractor hydrulic fluid in your poll.

Bruce
WE4
PTS XTREME

Re: Any but..

Originally posted by WE4
Number 1&2 I would not use.

And, you left out a Tractor hydrulic fluid in your poll.

Bruce
WE4
PTS XTREME

Thanks, Bruce! I purposefully left the hydraulic tractor fluid out. No offense to those who use it;...........I just wanted to know what the preferred (ok..maybe 2nd choice..lol) ATF is.;)

type f has been around forever and is a real winner in my opinion.ttractor fluid is for TRACTORSnot cars.i always put type f in my imaginary tractor.

vince from janis transmissions told me to use Dexron III with Mercon on my fresh rebuilt tranny...um this guy knows his stuff so i will put whatever he tells me to put in there!:D i used the Valvoline brand btw

The poll is currently tied at 50/50, Mercon/Type F.

Someone needs to break the tie.;)

transmission fluid poll

The results of the poll are interesting and pretty consistant with what I hear from talking to local guys here in Dallas. Unfortunately, it looks like only ten people voted. I'd like to see the results of more participants and I also like to add tractor fluid and Red Line synthetic fluid to the options - maybe even a couple of other choices?

Can someone set this up? Maybe make it more visible on the site?

I recently burnt up the tranny in my GN so now I'm soaking up all the information I can before I rebuild/replace it.

Thanks,
Rob
Dallas, Tx

I have heard that type-f makes for a much harder shift and lower tranny temps....Bruce, how come you don't like it??

I was wondering the same thing...How come Bruce, Seems like people have good luck with it.

I had Mike Kurtz (PMAC) to rebuild my transmission a couple of years ago. I called back after I recived my tranny and he told me to use type F fluild. No problems so far!

It is bull$hit

All type "f" has was a friction modifier for early fords hence the type "f".
It does NOTHING for you. Call or email an oil company rep and see what they tell you. Run what you want. I use what I know works and why it is better. Look at the PROPERTIES of the oil. It has all been explained many times on this board. Do a search for it as I am sore ( Man I am sore) and don't really feel like typing it all out , "again".

Bruce
WE4
PTS XTREME

Wow...That was pretty up-front and personal...Not to be argumentative, but wouldn't a Friction Modifier make the clutches bite harder, therefore making them last longer and shifty harder??

I'm glad someone is setting the record straight on the type F subject and what it was designed for. I once asked my boss about type F when I first started at the shop and he practically blew up at me. I bet I listened to a half hour of ranting about how it was designed for the old fords to correct a crappy design and how every shadetree mechanic puts it in every car they own and on and on and on........... After that I was pretty much sold on using what the dipstick/owners manual says, unless you wanna shell out the money for synthetic. Hmmmm.... I bet HE could post a nice lengthy reply to this! ;)

just my 2 cents worth.

bob

Originally posted by INEEDAGN
I'm glad someone is setting the record straight on the type F subject and what it was designed for. I once asked my boss about type F when I first started at the shop and he practically blew up at me. I bet I listened to a half hour of ranting about how it was designed for the old fords to correct a crappy design and how every shadetree mechanic puts it in every car they own and on and on and on........... After that I was pretty much sold on using what the dipstick/owners manual says, unless you wanna shell out the money for synthetic. Hmmmm.... I bet HE could post a nice lengthy reply to this! ;)

just my 2 cents worth.

bob

Slow91, read this guy's post reply again. His boss was correct.

Bruce
WE4

That makes sense...No one ever explained it like that...everyone would just say use this or that, never why...except the one person (before this thread) who said the tranny will shift harder...That was all I cared about.

Bruce,

Just to make sure I got ALL my facts straight, the friction modifier in the type F actually removes some of the lubricating qualities out of the fluid to correct a bad clutch/stack design is this correct??? And also isn't the modifier in the MOPAR ATF+ series the opposite of it and ADDS lubrication to it? :confused: It's been a few years since I got "the lecture" so it would be nice to refresh! Thanks in advance.

bob