Tranny won't go into park. What did I screw up now?

Morbid

Installed a new crossmember the other day and while doing so I had the transmission on a transmission jack for support. I had to "bump" it up some to get the new mount for the transmission installed.

Now the column shifter won't go into park. It still thinks it's in reverse. Did I tweak something or worse?

TIA

You might have bent the linkage from the column to the trans little.Jack and support the car and pull linkage from trans and see if the lever on trans will move into park. There are some adjustments that you can make.hope this helps

I was thinking along those same lines. Might just replace the entire linkage and re-set it. I think I saw a procedure for it in the FSM.

Thanks for Helping.

More detailed observations.

Transmission is a THM200c 3-speed

Hooked up my OTC 4000 Monitor to confirm a few things.

1) Shift Selector at Column will not stay in Park.
2) Shift Selector at Column doesn't find Neutral.

Driveability:

-When setting Column Selector to Reverse transmission responds (car goes into that gear)
-When setting Column Selector to "D" or "2" I just get a whirring noise.
-When setting Column Selector to "1" transmission responds (car will drive forward).

Diagnostics:
-Disconnected the Column Shift Linkage from the Transmission Linkage as described in the FSM.
-Moved lever at transmission clockwise to Park, then counterclockwise through all gears. No play in the lever and get solid clicks at each point and lever stays put.
-Put the ignition to on position and tried moving the Shifter at the column through the gear selections. Still will not stay in Park, finds Reverse but nothing but "play" between R and 2. That is no solid clicks or stops.
-Tried the adjustment procedure according to the FSM but it was sorta useless and the column shifter can't find the "stops" for "N".

At this point I'm gonna replace the entire linkage and bushings. But I am wondering if there is anything at the Column I could be missing?
I'm not sure if it's the transmission as it doesn't seem the transmission is getting the input it needs to know where the Shift Selector is.

Thanks to ne1 who is willing to offer up suggestions and or help.

After some more research I've found that I have two distinct issues that aren't related. The first is obviously the shift linkage. The second is the low roller clutch may be shot.
Makes sense since the transmission will engage in only L1 but not L2 or D. I'll replace the linkage myself and then have take the car to the shop.

Only question now is since this is the original transmission and has never been rebuilt do I have that done now or just pay for the needed repairs?
Local shop want's $1,100 for a complete rebuild w/two year warranty. Can't understand why rebuilding a transmission is so expensive when the parts are so cheap.

Yikes! I wouldn't spend that much on a 200 3-speed. A 200-4R will bolt right in its place and then you can put in a steeper rear gear for improved acceleration while keeping decent mileage.

True, but I would have to also change a few other things (like the column shifter) for that to happen. I just paid $1,000 to have a new Clutch installed in my 05 Audi (6 sp manual) so I don't think
i'll be rebuilding this one, least not at that price. After getting the linkage from GBodyparts installed and that issue taken care of, i'll just take the car in and have him repair what needs to be repaired.

I had a s%it load of other repairs I was planning for this year on this car, mostly body and sheet metal parts. Looks like I'll have to put them on hold, again. :mad:

Edited:
For the sake of discussion, I'm assuming you mean something like this

The stock column shifter will work with a 200-4R. I've done this very thing in my '84 Cutlass. While not a necessity, I did go ahead and install a rally gauge cluster with the overdrive indicator. Even if you elect to have the 200C rebuilt, you should be able to find someone to do it for less than $1100.

The last 3 speed I had done I pulled myself and the bench job was $400 and the converter was $89. I should have rebuilt it myself because the kit was like $140

The parts aren't expensive at all it's the labor rate, which is north of $95.00 a hr up here, that's a killer. I was able to get a little better deal on rebuilding by going through the owner of the shop that does work on the car. Down to $875.00 out the door. Old-timer who's been around longer than these cars which is good as I found out by experience there aren't many shops who can work on older cars correctly.

Replaced the entire shift linkage today and put in new bushing in the shift lever at the transmission. Park problem is solved.
Still no "D" or "2" though.