Tranny problems

sy1322

Well my torque converter took a dump, started making grinding noise, so when I pulled the tranny there were all type of metal shaving in the fluid, a friend of mine gave me another torque converter, which I installed and was working great, new filter and fluid, but now when I first turn the car on it drives and shifts fine, until about 5 or 10 miles until the tranny fluid heats up I guess, and then when you come to a complete stop shifts from 1st to 2nd, fine but 3 and overdrive, are like quick, and like when yor going 30 or 40, its like in overdrive, and strains, have to manually down shift, checked the trans fluid, and have still grains of shaving, could the governor be getting stuck, or tranny rebuild time??? Or change the fluid and filter again?

The shavings are going to haunt you, vb should be taken down and cleaned, cooler replaced, etc

Thanks guys I'm gonna try that, change filter, fluid and look at the solenoid, and hope to see a clog one, thanks again and will keep you guys informed

TCC solenoid sticking and not exhausting fluid. Gets 2nd gear signal oil so it locks up after second gear circuit is filled. Those shavings are going to be EVERYWHERE inside that trans. Cleaning the valve body is just a part of where they will hide, only to come loose later and cause you more problems. They will hide everywhere there is a "corner" for them to sit and fall into the pan later. Like trying to flush a converter. Better to completely clean out completely. You will just keep contaminating everything over and over.

Well guys thats what it was the tcc solenoid was bad, replaced it, filter, and tranny fluid, and shifting back to normal, drove it for a while and still running and shifting great, thanks again guys for all your help, and appreciate it alot!

install an in-line filter in the trans line. The debris will cause you all sorts of head aches. Valves will get hung up in the valve body very easily.