Tranny gurus...Sorry bout the length!!

Schlodes

Scone Wizard
I recently removed a totally high performance rebuilt BRF 200 4R and Red Stripe convertor from my Limited. I was having some problems with part throttle driveabilty once the car warmed up (say after an hour of driving around town).

After an hour of driving around town....
Part throttle and light cruising around: The trans would shift 1-2 just fine, then instead of shifting 2-3 like it should..... it would hesitate, shift up to 3rd, and go back down into 2nd.. back up to 3rd... back down into 2nd and i'd have to speed up to about 32-3400 RPMs in second gear for it to shift 3rd gear (D) and even then it felt hesitant to upshift and stay there... When its cold it works fine - doesn't do this.

Also not as annoying but still not how it should be.. the car shifts into overdrive fairly late in my opinion... With this high perf trans it will shift into overdrive at around 50-55 MPH as long as I let off the gas completely... If I stay lightly in the throttle just accelerating along it shifts in to 4th (OD) around 55-60 MPH...

Ever see what it feels like when Reds chip locks the convertor at 45 MPH and your performance trans which has necksnapping shifts, shifts into OD at 50 or so MPH with the convertor LOCKED??? BANG!!!! and the whole car JUMPS like someone kicked it in the butt with a steeltoe boot... My fix for that..... was a TCC defeat switch I wired up to have manual control of the lock up in my car... So i dont care too much about this... More concerned with the problem above.

But do any of you tranny guys maybey have an idea what could be causing the trans to hesitate on the part throttle 2-3 & 3-4 shifts when warmed up after an hour of driving?

I wanna put this built up trans back in in the worst way after my recent track visit, (I think my 60 foots suffered b/c of the stock tranny & converotr) but not until i can figure out whats causing the confused 2-3 and delayed 3-4 shifts...driveability problems.

P.S. -- This trans works GREAT with a good cool down at the track on the WOT runs - barks the 26x10 slicks on every up shift.. which seem to be right around 51-5200 RPM.. on each gear change :)

THANKS in advance for any help you guys might have!!!!!! Much appreciated.

hello this 2nd to 3rd deal sounds close to my problem read 1700 rpm bucking problem not tcc related. only difference is i have no o/d problems, or wot problems also it happens after the 1st full up shift on warming up. everyone i tell this to or show this to either says i have no idea or seems like a line pressure problem/ fluctuation. it only happens at that rpm shift, and occasionaly feels like a flare? but anyway soft shift(cant feel it hapening) at lolw rpm. otherwise will bark'em thru o/d at wot and 3/4 throttle.

ur case sound more severe than mine let me know if u figure that out. i'll do the same likewise.

p.s. what fluid do u use? i was messaging 1 guy who gave up on a problem that was sort of more identical to mine and found out w/ his performance build he ran dexron III mercon which i run, what did u use?

I have seen some shift kits cause that 2-3 confused kinda of problem. It seems to be related to trans heat change fluids. Use Mobile Mobilelube 424 Hi torque Tractor fluid. This should help if heat is the problem. With a problem like you described it will need to be fixed in the car. Not much you can do on a bench. Re-install it change fluid then maybe we can be more help. A good start would be line pressure when the tranny has the problem.

Lonnie Diers