Traction while boosting up??

ONEquickGN

I lack knowledge when it comes to traction issues and brakes. if I am going to be running a mid 10 sec car... I'll def need something to hold the tires at the lines while i boost up to 10 psi. What would I need?? I remember something called a trans brake being mentioned. Could one of you guys explain this to me and educate me in this topic as well as how works?? Thanks

A trans brake allows you to lock the transmission at the line which locks the car in place. You can then stall the car or spool the turbo to a desired boost level and then release the trans brake enabling the car to leave with boost.

huh...sounds pretty harsh on the trans and the rear end???? but then again anything wouuld be leaving the line with that much boost and traction... right???

Its not hard on the tranny if you have a good tranny cooler. Using the trans brake causes the tranny to heat up. If you have a good cooler than your good to go. As far as the rear end, some stress must be applied to achieve mid 10's. I know several people who run 10's on stock rear end. The trans break is possibly a bit more hard on the rear end than brake boosting due to the shock it places on the tires. I have used my trans brake many times with no problems at all.

You might want to ask this same question in the Tranny section.

Now that TR tranny brakes have been around for a bit, I'm very interested to know whether there has or hasn't been a lot of breakage...

the other thing to factor is that these cars like to tear through the pillars and otherwise twist with repeated hard launches...

:)

A bit on brakes, etc...

Someone wrote that a brake is not hard on a trans as long as the cooler is "good"....BZZZZZZZZZT!
The trans is put into reverse and low at the same time, effectively locking the gear sets and relaxing the driveline from the output of the trans back. Releasing the brake drops reverse and the power is then transmitted to the driveshaft.. This imparts very high stresses in the entire driveline, and hits the tires much harder than a footbrake release!! Something a cooler has nothing to do with...
[Example: the PG and other popular trannys run w/ brakes routinely break the case off the engine... that's ALOT of stress!!:eek: ]
The trans fluid gets hot because the converter is stalled, not because the trans brake is on. The same heat will occur if the car is footbraked. That's when the good cooler comes into play.

Bottom line: the trans components must be of good quality to endure the abuse of a tranny brake.
Those folks that are not experiencing problems w/ stock 200's and brakes WILL have their day!!:D :D

Originally posted by Brian Mc
S10 wheel cylinders??:)

I installed rear cylinders off of a mid 80's s-10 with manual brakes on my 87GN. You DEFINITELY notice the difference when you step on the brake pedal. You have a lot more holding power at the line for power braking to build boost. The downside to this however, is that since the car is my daily driver i got sick of them constantly locking up the rear tires when i hit the brakes at lower speeds, so i took them off. They are really touchy, and you just have to get used to them.