TR6 2 step

1987noblegn

I have the TR6 ignition system with the built in 2 step. I have a 3300 PTE torque converter. What should I set the rpm at? The instructions say close. But how close?

the primary or secondary?
i set my max limit to 6100
and depends on your setup for the launch.you will find out by testing it.

I started a 3000 and tested what worked best. Just as a starting point for you I would go 3400.

4100 for me leaving 9.5 psi on a dusty ptc 9.5 19blade that hits 0.1 psi at 2800

youll need to adjust the rpm based on what your tires and suspension can take on the track
if your spinning on the release its too much

I also have a TR-6 but I don't think I need the 2 step. I have a trans brake and have a pretty easy time getiing to 10psi. Am I missing something? My 60' is 1.6

I set mine at stall speed (2800) and got a 1.56 60ft but the boost was only about 4 PSI at launch. Could stand to be a few hundred higher I think the boost builds pretty slowly on the 2 step

Last edited:
my best was 1.89,but it would smoke em anything more than 3-4#boost.it seems the longer i hold the transbrake on with the two-step it would get more and more boost....still learning different methods of staging,the combo,track,etc.Lots of different things going on when launching.

a 2steps function is not there to make you 60 foot better , its there to help you build your car to a level that the track will hold and be able to just put your foot to the floor while doing it and not overshoot the boost or rpm that migh otherwise lead to blowing the tires off
or use it to build to a level that will allow you to leave the tree ready to go tree after tree and help improve both your rt and keep a consistanct 60' which will lead to closer dials important for bracket racing

the retard function of baileys 2 step(which ive never used ) is supposed to help the footbrake guys build more than you can hold normally because of poor brakes by reducing the torque with lower timing

My goal is to leave more consistently. My boost varies anywhere from 15 to 20 on the power logger at launch. I try to hold 7-10. No slip.