tps question...

peterkin

..it isn't rocket science
what would cause my tps sensor to not go above 4V@WOT...could the sensor be bad, i know that all it is is a potentiometer...but when i get on it i can feel the car pull and then it kinda dies because the voltage doesn't get high enough...i have directscan files if anyone wants to look at them....
what could i check, or do i just need a voltage booster.

just had the same thing dei on the top end my sensor went bad they are not to bad to replace if you have turbolink it's a snap to set. I have a spare up hear that's good if you need it is a original AC delco unit e-me your addy and I will send it to you.

Originally posted by peterkin
what would cause my tps sensor to not go above 4V@WOT...could the sensor be bad, i know that all it is is a potentiometer...but when i get on it i can feel the car pull and then it kinda dies because the voltage doesn't get high enough...i have directscan files if anyone wants to look at them....
what could i check, or do i just need a voltage booster.

As you have DS files, you can look at them and see that the car is in PE mode. Therefore having more voltage from the tps will not do you any good. I suspect, if the run was at wot, you will discover you were in PE before it hit 3.0 volts...LV8 overrides tps.

You can play with the tps until the cows come home but changing it on the top end beyond what you have cannot make any difference to the performance. Just more ol wive's bs.

Your floor mat is probably under the pedal or the sensor is not set to the end of the slot on the bottom screw.

It sounds like you are suffering from detonation from either a lack of fuel or too much boost for the grade of fuel you are running.

thanks guys...also, gn4u2c i'll be in laurel at a buick club meeting tonight around 7...you could come down and meet some of the guys...i'll actually be there at the shop ( vernon's automotive ) before that, but we meet at pizza hut at 7 to b.s. for a couple of hours...i could pick it up from you if you want...give me a call here at work around 2, because i'm leaving to go wash my car right now....i shot you an email with the number...

steve, the mat isn't in the way...that's the first thing i checked...in analyzing the ds files i did notice that the car went into PE even though the voltage on the tps was only around 3.5-4.0 volts.

Normally, the chips are programmed to go into PE mode at 75% of full range which is 5.0 v. That means anything above 3.75 vo at wot is enuf. On the other hand, Load (LV8) normally overides that value and the engine sees PE at much lower voltages as soon as you place some load on the engine thru acceleration.

You might pull the hose off the tb and see if the blade is very close to being wide open when the pedal is all the way down. Sometimes the tv cable on the tranny is not adjusted right, or something, and will prevent the car from seeing full throttle.

I am assuming that the tps is all the way forward in the lower slot.

It is common for the blade to not be quite wide open...a few degrees does not make much difference but if it is noticiably not open...that will sure slow you down a bit.