TPS maxed out, still too low, what now?

Powder

My TPS is adjusted as far forward as it will go and my readings are .36 idle & 4.1 WOT. Any ideas on modifying the TPS or does it need to be replaced. Thanks for any suggestions.:confused:
MLH

Where are you located in South Puget Sound? I'm just over the Narrows bridge...

As for your TPS, you can get a file and hog out the half moon shaped holes to get more adjustability.

Pete

tps

if you pivot the TPS to get the max WOT voltage out of it and it still won't go beyond 4.1 volts, i'd recommend replacing it with a new one. i worked several years in the test lab for a major supplier of GM's various sensors including the TPS and know, firsthand, that there can be problems with linearity or bent contacts on the resistive paint. secondly, i've never had one that i couldn't get at least 4.6v out of without modifying if it was not defective. just my $.02
bw jones

I agree with BWJONES. Get a new one and you should be good to go. I get 4.6 volts on my stock 85 which is very old. Good luck- brad

Try one more thing first, the way i sat mine one time was to remember the tps & idle rpm screw worked together. on mine i didnt max it out but when my readings wasnt right the best way i can explain it is that it works like say, you have a towel or dish cloth in your hands & youre trying to wring it out dry, you have to turn one wrist one way & the other wrist the oposite way. pretend the tps is on one end of the wrag & idle screw on the other end .adjust these the same way& flip back & forth on the scan master to see if readings dont change or get within tolerance, if not you can always put it back like it was & like they say & just buy a new one ive adjusted 3 including mine & always fine tune it very close this way with the car off & ignition on but then you have to crank the car to get the rpm right. if you dont understand what im saying just ignore this whole thing & get a new one.

I always hate to be the bad guy but there is no such thing as an idle rpm screw. Idle is set by the ECM. There is an IAC Air Control valve screw which needs to be set by your scan tool. My 2 cents. Brad

I always hate to be the bad guy but there is no such thing as an idle rpm screw. Idle is set by the ECM. There is an IAC Air Control valve screw which needs to be set by your scan tool. My 2 cents. Brad

Your not bad brad, just correcting me, youre right thats what i meant sorry its IAC.

What's your IAC setting w/ .36 idle TPS? 4.1 max TPS probably OK, 4.1-4.6 range minimal affect on performance.

Most important is getting full travel of throttle plate. Press pedal to floor & have assistant check for max throttle plate position. Or, get on floor, press to floor & pull on cable end to see if add'l movement available. [I need remove my floor mat to get >4.0 & get only 4.2-3 at max.] If you're not getting full throttle plate movement, then you need adjust throttle cable (shim behind cable end inside car--split-shot sinker/whatever).

Thanks for the info guys. I used to be in the normal ranges until I changed MAF, injectors, chip and GEN II. It sounds like a new one is in order and may have to enlarge the slots to make that work.
Pete: I live in DesMoines so we're not too far away. I would like to meet you sometime and compare notes on our cars.
Thanks again for the info, I understand this sensor better now, however I'm still puzzled how it can change its values without being physically moved.
MLH