TPS adjustment....

19BGN86

Is there anyway to adjust the TPS accurately without a scan tool?

I have made very small adjustments trying to get rid of a code 21, it seems to be on the idle side, because as long as I have my foot on the pedal going down the road the SES light will go off and stay off until I let off the gas and come to a stop ... light comes on ..... until I press the pedal and get moving. .... light goes back off....

That is like winning the lottery chances are slim and none you will get it even close , that setting is very sensitive , you set one end the other end will be off , get a scan tool and make life easier for you

That is like winning the lottery chances are slim and none you will get it even close , that setting is very sensitive , you set one end the other end will be off , get a scan tool and make life easier for you

The next purchase I am goin to make is the powerlogger, I believe that would be the best way to go. ...

Its easy to set the tps with digital vom. Probe blue wire with the red and ground post on batt with black. I always did it while engine idling. Worked as good as scan master just takes a little longer.

Its easy to set the tps with digital vom. Probe blue wire with the red and ground post on batt with black. I always did it while engine idling. Worked as good as scan master just takes a little longer.

That's the answer I was hoping to get, but you say to do it with the engine idling.....
I'm assuming you do WOT while the engine is not running....
And is there any other trick when using the DVOM.....

I'll have to borrow a different one than what I have at the moment, mine is too sketchy with its automatic volt detection, flipping from volts to milivolts and so on....
I was going to try mine but that's got me discouraged from it right now.... lol

Appreciate the information though, maybe I can get rid of that pesky SES light now... lol...

no, obviously you cant do the wot tps setting with it running, but if you loosen the two screws and pull the tps forward and perform the idle adjustment by moving the tps only at the top screw, the wot setting will be spot on or really close! you can also do the setting with the car not running and ign "on" too but I notice there's a very slight difference in the vom readings (.01-.02) when you set it not running and figured a running adjustment was better, but it probably doesn't really matter as the setting parameter is fairly wide at .36-.46. most say .42 is optimum but others say different. Think about investing a scanmaster- its worth every penny to know all the operating parameters and really makes fine tuning quick and easy and diagnostics are 1000% more accurate. My only regret is owning the car for 20 years without a SM and not really knowing why it ran so lousy and countless wire and plug changes that did very little. Invested in a scanmaster and in less than an hour had the car dialed in so good it had NEVER ran better in the 20 years i had it. Its that simple.

I tried to adjust to the 0.42, but the closest I could get was .40.....
At least the SES light is off now...

Appreciate the pointers.

I'm starting to love this forum more and more...
Lots of good quality info, and mostly helpful members...

Great! .40 is fine. Yes this forum is quite helpful. These cars can be very challenging.